What are some quality speakers for my price Range?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default What are some quality speakers for my price Range?

i just bought the stanton SCS.4dj and it is great with headphone but im soon going to be doing some parties and im in need of a pair of quality speakers for around 150-200 , i know thats not much but im on a cheep budget as my dj system was 600. i know that i can do reaserch and find some but im not sure if i need a special pair of speakers since my system is slef powered and has a built in cpu. any sudgestions??

Quote Originally Posted by DjGuy View Post
    need of a pair of quality speakers for around 150-200 ,
    No such thing- you can't even get really bad speakers that cheap.

Triple your budget and you can get some budget PA speakers but even spending $500-$600 they won't be quality.

You might be able to find a usable pair of powered speakers on craigslist for like 300-400 if you're lucky.

Tech Wizard

oh....ok then well what about used ones?

Banned

Mackies would be the old stand by I guess for loud, cheap PA's if you don't care about sound quality.

But you're still looking at about 400 to 600 a speaker if you even want to attempt to provide sound for a party. Plus you would still need a bass

Quote Originally Posted by Nephew View Post
    Mackies would be the old stand by I guess for loud, cheap PA's if you don't care about sound quality.
    Or build quality, they are known to spontaneously catch fire.

Tech Mentor

I your into DIY check this out. I'm building a tuba 30 bass cab. http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/

Tech Mentor

JBL EON 15" G1 run for about 180$ used. The 10" run about 150$

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Or build quality, they are known to spontaneously catch fire.
    Not all series (assuming the SRM 450), USA & Italian are fine while Chinese need some care and love.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

+1 on the billfitzmaurice designs.

I took a gamble on a 15" set of these a few years ago to take to the local bars and I always got tons of compliments on the sound quality. http://www.thedeepdiscount.com/p-342...-speakers.aspx Even made some people's eyes bug out in amazement compared to what they were used to hearing. My mobile dj friend who has three different pa setups even admitted that they sounded better than any of his. It looks like they discontinued the 15" 3 ways version, but this is basically the same thing only in a 12. I ended up cooking the voice coils by overdriving the rms rating by 100w with some really heavy bass, but you'll have that with any speaker. I kind of felt like Kramer in the episode of Seinfeld where they kept driving the car to see how far they could go past empty. Lol But yeah, I would buy them again if I wasn't already making the billfitzmaurice designs.
    Last edited by funke; 01-10-2012 at 11:43 AM.
    Toshiba Satellite Windows 8.1, TSP2, Audio 10, Audio 2, 2x Technics 1200 MKII, Pioneer DJM-707, Midi Fighter Spectra, Kontrol X1, Behringer CMD PL-1

Tech Guru

Given your price range, used is the only real option.

Based on availability, and robustness, I would suggest an amp and a pair of full range speakers. The Yamaha S-115 series are widely available, well built, inexpensive used, and sound OK. I prefer ebay with local pickup over craigslist. In my area a pair can be had for $300-ish...sometimes with speaker stands and some cables, sometimes just the tops.

For amps, the venerable Peavey CS-800x is rock solid reliable (and rock solid heavy). These can be had for $200-250, and you will NOT want to pay for shipping. These amps are legendary for reliability, and underrated in terms of output.

If you had $1000, I would recommend the B52 Matrix1000v2 system. The price is "out the door" with a set of speaker stands and all needed cables. This is the best bang for <$1000. The dedicated sub makes a big difference in the overall sound of the PA system. For parties up to 100-ish people, this is a good system to have.

Alternatively, you could spend the same $1000 on the RFC 312A powered tops...and a set of speaker stands and signal cables. The tops are slightly better than the B25 Matrix 1000v2 tops, but there is no sub...so the overall sound is not a full.

I have build a LOT of Bill Fitzmaurice speakers for my own use. The designs are great, but you can not build a full system for less than about $2000...assuming that you need amps, crossovers, EQ, and limiters too. Also, you need to have and know how to use some basic woodworking tools. It's not hard, but if does require some care. If you do spend the $2000, the resulting sound will rival anything you could by for <$4000.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast