Have you ever felt "out of place" at places you have DJed?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Have you ever felt "out of place" at places you have DJed?

This is exactly how I felt at this thing I DJed at my school. It was a thing for parents to watch their kid on a basketball team go through their warm ups. I was asked to DJ the shit to add some spice. I had my full DJ setup, and reallllly nice speakers that my school bought. I played at a very low level the whole time, because the coach was telling me to constantly turn it down, when I could barely hear it out of the speakers. I just felt so out of place, with such a small crowd of people, and none of them gave a shit.

This almost happened to me today, I DJed an art show. Played disco house and indie rock. For the first half hour, I felt like I was playing to myself, random person walked by and would just look at me, then keep walking. Thank god it picked up and people were walking up and shit and telling me good job. But yea, for that first part I was really regretting taking the gig, especially when I wasn't getting paid.

I'm just curious how other ppl feel. :P
    Last edited by NotSoSiniSter; 01-10-2012 at 09:33 PM.
    Ableton Live 9, Traktor, VCI-400, APC40, QuNeo, Lemur iOS

I had the worst house party of my life the other day....
    Well not really.... Just really different.

I'm a white kid who djs with his friend for house parties, and a girl (my age) asked us to dj at a party at her house.
    Expecting that it was her party, I accepted... But when I got there. They gave me a USB full of bollywood Indian pop music stuff and asked me to play for an indian wedding homecoming thing. Still not too sure what the situation was, I feel that we played a pretty good party for two white kids, and 40yearold Indian people requesting songs I've never heard of before.

Looking back, it was pretty funny, and was good fun and has some good laughs... But in te future, i need to start asking what the party is for :P

At least I got paid for it
    “Getting information off the Internet is like taking a drink from a fire hydrant." Mitchell Kapor
    Setup: TP2 - Vestax Typhoon - Korg NanoPad - Windows 7 x64 - Sony Vaio (Deceased) - Acer Aspire Timeline.
    House Parties - 2x12" Titan Audio PA's, 1xBehringer B1500D Sub

Quote Originally Posted by NotSoSiniSter View Post
    This is exactly how I felt at this thing I DJed at my school. It was a thing for parents to watch their kid on a basketball team go through their warm ups. I was asked to DJ the shit to add some spice. I had my full DJ setup, and reallllly nice speakers that my school bought. I played at a very low level the whole time, because the coach was telling me to constantly turn it down, when I could barely hear it out of the speakers. I just felt so out of place, with such a small crowd of people, and none of them gave a shit.

This almost happened to me today, I DJed an art show. Played disco house and indie rock. For the first half hour, I felt like I was playing to myself, random person walked by and would just look at me, then keep walking. Thank god it picked up and people were walking up and shit and telling me good job. But yea, for that first part I was really regretting taking the gig, especially when I wasn't getting paid.

I'm just curious how other ppl feel. :P
    a bit of an OT but...

cant help but notice your sig that you have the Audio technica turnies - how are they? any problems so far?
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

Mmmm, something similar - there's a bar in Bristol that regularly gets DJs in, but it seems that none of the clientele really care that you're there or playing. Its a little out of the centre, in an area mostly populated by well to do mid-30 types. I think the bar only hires a DJ to allow the people that go there to convince themselves that they're still 'down with the kids'

They do pay pretty well though so I just suck it up ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

Jack Bastard

Well, if you will play in Clifton.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Bastard View Post
    Well, if you will play in Clifton.

Totterdown ACKSHUALLY
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers

coming from a more "intense" scene where i play usually powerful music at peaktimes, i tried once to play for an audience which isn't that much into the music and doesn't want to be pushed by the music too much.

i tried to keep it low so they can enjoy the party but i felt a lot out of place and was continuously busy with keeping myself under control so i dont become too fast or too energetic ^^

since this time i didn't so much gigs anymore and focus on the ones i really love to do ;o) the whole "performance" gets a lot better.

and for gigs i feel that i aren't the person to do this job with love and an 100% dedication, i don't do it and leave the slot for another dj that does it that way

this may effects my popularity but i don't aim for the popcommerce shit and stay with the 5-10 gigs in the year that have substance
    ( www.sickinc.org ~ a psychedelic trance ritual )

Quote Originally Posted by sparkbro View Post
    I had the worst house party of my life the other day....
    Well not really.... Just really different.

I'm a white kid who djs with his friend for house parties, and a girl (my age) asked us to dj at a party at her house.
    Expecting that it was her party, I accepted... But when I got there. They gave me a USB full of bollywood Indian pop music stuff and asked me to play for an indian wedding homecoming thing. Still not too sure what the situation was, I feel that we played a pretty good party for two white kids, and 40yearold Indian people requesting songs I've never heard of before.

Looking back, it was pretty funny, and was good fun and has some good laughs... But in te future, i need to start asking what the party is for :P

At least I got paid for it
    Hahahaha, that's hilarious! I'm Indian, and I can't imagine some other DJ coming in that was not Indian and asked to play Bollywood hits. How'd you mix lol? Jus slam or fade? Haha oh man, definitely made my night :P.

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

I used to DJ at a bar where all they wanted was Schlager music and après-ski bingo. Sometimes I had to play the same songs all over again the whole night. The people were ecstatic. Once I tried to push them into more EDM stuff they went angry. Someone even threw a bottle of beer at me which banged at the wall behind me.

While it was good money I refused to do that anymore because I felt out of place and didn't have much fun at all.

Now all the "out-of-place"-gigs are weddings of my family or very good friends. Since that doesn't happen that often I suck it up and go with it.

I don't take money for spinning at weddings because I feel like being raped afterwards - that would make it prostitution.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

At weekly pool parties here this summer we had 4 or 5 DJs switching on and off and it would be hip-hop rap hip-hop pop top 40 blablabla then I'd go on and drop only house; switched those parties up hahaha! Cincinnati would get a Miami vibe for my sets and this is the hip-hoppiest city I know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast