Advice/Guides on Learning to Produce - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

dvls, dammmmmmmmnnn that guide is long. Will have a nice read thanks!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I lived on that site for months a few years ago. I still can't wrap my head around it.

But he's got one great desciption of MIDI, and debunks a lot of myths.

And the forums are frequented by some pretty big names (as it's explained to me) in the mastering and engineering fields. Not much for DJing, but still, it's an amazing site.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

ProTools is the most widely accepted production software. You can basically take your project to any studio and use it universally...although it takes a bit of time to familiarize yourself with the program as it is quite deep. But, if you want to get great sound, it's a nice option. Their Mbox line is nice and offers a few different price/gear options.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

While I agree with BodegaBrad that ProTools is widely accepted, I would hedge my bets against the MBox line.

I am, personally, against any software that requires you to use one line of hardware. I think the only way ProTools can really shine is if you have the hundreds of K to get the full rig that they have.

But it's another situation you have to just try em out and see what works for you. There are tons of DAW suites that will suit you fine.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Mentor

I think the most important thing would be to choose the program based on what you like the best. Justice claimed that they used Garageband to make their tracks. Mastering can be left for studios. Most important is to turn your ideas into tracks in the first place, with humming into your cell phone's recorder if you need to.

Yeah find a program with a workflow that you like thats the most imporant thing - even if all its inbuilt fx are crap you can allways load up a ton of nice VST's to make up for that. Spend some time trying out some different demos and check out youtube clips of how to use the different programs until you find one that jives with you.

Its not what your using, its how you use it

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    While I agree with BodegaBrad that ProTools is widely accepted, I would hedge my bets against the MBox line.

I am, personally, against any software that requires you to use one line of hardware. I think the only way ProTools can really shine is if you have the hundreds of K to get the full rig that they have.
    Very true...I only listed it as an option. I have had my problems with it, but am using it more and more and have been able to take from home to the radio station with ease. ProTools "M-Powered" allows for non digidesign gear to be used too.
    I agree that it doesn't matter what you use, as long as you're comfortable with it. Me...I'd rather use Adobe Audition(believe PC only) all day, for ease of use, but ProTools sounds better overall. Garageband is nice too.

I do believe that copying your favorite songs is a nice way to learn and give your first steps on producing electronic music. Its about the learning curve that you have to surpass in order to start being able to get your ideas on the computer. Of course there are other methods, but this one is pretty cool and you have fun when youre learning... C'mon, you all know how frustating it is when you have the song in you head and then you cant put that on the computer just because you cant use the software properly.
    The same thing with a kid that just got a new guitar. Hes going to play some well known songs that he likes in order to learn how to play, and afterwards maybe hes gonna create his own songs.

At the moment Im using the Energy XT2.5, and even if its now one of the topnotch apps, its still ok and enough for sequencing. By the way, i love the interface. I recentelly bought a vintage drum machine (TR-707) and Im really having fun with this wonderfull piece of kit. Ok, its not a TR808 or a T909, but it costs 6 times less... Now Im saving some money for some synths (Mopho, SH-201) and some effects pedals.

I myself am working on the process of learning how to produce.

A few places I have found useful are:

on you tube search
    NFX
    MDL Productions
    Acephincter

http://www.warbeats.com

Mind you these ones are more aimed towards Fl.Studio but have aspects that are transferable to whatever DAW you find you like.

Tarekith has a few great tutorials on Song Arrangments, Mixdowns, Mastering etc... available here:
    http://www.tarekith.com/misc.html

If you are like me and have no previous background training in music and need a
    tool that would help while you are learning music theory (Chords, Scales)
    http://www.looknohands.com has a wonderful app.

http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/piano/

While I was in Chapters Indigo I picked up a cheap book The Remixer's Bible and have found it to be a great tool as well. Its not a guide on the A to B process to production. Rather the author writes about his experiences, trials, failures, solutions, tricks, and techniques. I find myself using it as a reference when I become stuck to help be pointed in the right direction.

I had always thought I had a pretty good idea on the Compressor. However after reading this article helped me to understand the functions much clearer.
    Dogs on Acid Compressor 101 : The Basics

After I read the Compression 101 : Basics I wanted to find some more tricks I could do with the device rather just shape the sound. I found this tutorial on New York Compression/Parallel Compression by Mutant Audio
    NY/Parallel Compression

and a second article covering the same subject
    NY/Paralell Compression

Primeloops.com have some videos, PDF files on Ableton / Fl.Studio / and Reason using an array of techniques.

As well a great place to find information on or be pointed in the right direction for the questions you may have and meet of aspiring producers are the forums from the software vendor(s) you choose.

dont forget youtube!

Cheers and The Best of luck to you!

im off to the tweakheads site now to read on...
    Last edited by jasonj; 04-04-2009 at 12:56 AM.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

also, read up on some music theory if you aren't versed in it already.

i really don't intend to sound mean, but just because you can mix in key does not mean you can create good music. i believe music comes from inside you, and some people don't have that. some people are meant to make music, some meant to warp it. but alas, everything can be learned (almost). learn about harmony, melody, keys, flats, sharps, etc. producing good music that doesn't sound like every other electronic 3 chord progression is a real talent, and def an art.

one more thing, DON'T BE AFRAID TO BE CREATIVE. get out of that damn box and don't sound like everyone else. that's the key to standing apart from all the other self-styled producers. if music comes to you, put it to paper. you can't force it, though.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast