Advice/Guides on Learning to Produce - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by djhipnotikk View Post
    also, read up on some music theory if you aren't versed in it already.

i really don't intend to sound mean, but just because you can mix in key does not mean you can create good music. i believe music comes from inside you, and some people don't have that. some people are meant to make music, some meant to warp it. but alas, everything can be learned (almost). learn about harmony, melody, keys, flats, sharps, etc. producing good music that doesn't sound like every other electronic 3 chord progression is a real talent, and def an art.

one more thing, DON'T BE AFRAID TO BE CREATIVE. get out of that damn box and don't sound like everyone else. that's the key to standing apart from all the other self-styled producers. if music comes to you, put it to paper. you can't force it, though.
    YES!!!!

I couldn't agree more. Coming from playing guitar, studying music theory, learning key signatures, etc. It helps tremendously to be familiar with all of these things. Even if you don't obsess over staying in key all the time with what you make, at least you have the musical intelligence to put together a well thought-out track.

And what really bothers me is that with a lot of production software, people learn how to use it, and once they learn how to use it they assume they can make quality music. Unfortunately, just because you have the know-how, that does not mean you have the inspiration or the musical fortitude to put together something great.

In short, learn how to use the software. But always keep in mind it is music that you're making.
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Default help a begginer in production

hey guys i really love djing but i can be stock here i want to go to the next level and start producting my own tracks the only thing is that idk what exactly do i need to achieve my goal....can any of u guys would give a ny advice of what should be a perfect beggining setup for production...what u guys recommend me of what should i get and please guys say stuff that they are affortable i want to start everything slow at least the basic for start production thanks guys

Tech Convert

Check out Reason 4.0..with that and a midi control you can create and sequence everything right in the program, or another option is using a software sequencer that supports vsti's and get native instruments komplete( http://www.native-instruments.com/in...p?id=komplete5 ) or any of their sound banks, this would be a better option because you can load a acapella in one track and build the instrumental around it from drums to bass to synths or any instrument possible around it...if thats the production style you're looking to do

Dude, first try some software demos, just to make sure what app supports your creative workflow best.

From here on go.

I have given the advice here quite some times, but for you, I will type it out once more.

If you're a complete control freak, and like to "code" more or less every bleep in your track, than go for a so called 'tracker'. (Fast Tracker II, Mad tracker or for the nowadays tracker app Renoise)

If you're into 19 inch racks, mixers and sequencers and don't want to bother too much with finding your own sound, opt for Reason. (MIDI keys needed)

If you're into heavy clicking and sequencing, you might want to go for apps like Cubase and Logic.
    You will have to find your own VSTs (sounds or effects), but it adds to the charm.

If you're more into the intuitive stuff and that has quite some nice VSTs included, but also want to be open for importing new VSTs into your app, than go for Ableton or Fruity Loops.

Ableton works for me. Bento is, I think still, more partial to Fruity Loops.

For me Ableton was slight more intuitive, once I came to Ableton, I never looked back to all the others I mentioned earlier.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

thanks for all the response guys i really appreciate that now thie is my other question im buying a apple pro from my friend it has already logic and ableton installed so for that im good...now in harware what u guys think i should buy kepp in mind about that i want to use ableton for live performance later on so....what equipments would do the job for both

Well, first start of with Ableton.

You will be able to handle it by means of laptop keyboard and mouse at first.
    (Laptop keyboard can be set to send out MIDI messages within Ableton.(Well not entirely true, but you will be able to play VSTs(sound) with your laptop keyboard)).

From this point you can look at what kind of MIDI controller you'd want to have.

Most popular Ableton controllers:
    - Akai APC40
    - Evolution UC33e
    - Behringer BCR 2000
    - Behringer BCF 2000
    - Novation Remote Zero

Ofcourse you know my two preferred options here.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

im plannin on the axiom 49
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

Tech Mentor

fruityloops rewired with reason is the killZ. add komplete 5 to that and you have a base for creating a professional sounding song.

that, of course, needs a lot of experimenting and trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaon View Post
    im plannin on the axiom 49

That's sweet too bro'!

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Tekki View Post
    Well, first start of with Ableton.

You will be able to handle it by means of laptop keyboard and mouse at first.
    (Laptop keyboard can be set to send out MIDI messages within Ableton.(Well not entirely true, but you will be able to play VSTs(sound) with your laptop keyboard)).

From this point you can look at what kind of MIDI controller you'd want to have.

Most popular Ableton controllers:
    - Akai APC40
    - Evolution UC33e
    - Behringer BCR 2000
    - Behringer BCF 2000
    - Novation Remote Zero

Ofcourse you know my two preferred options here.
    Yea tekki I was thinking of getting 1 beringer bcr and one bcf for the live performance.....but I also love the korg zero 8 so im like thinking and I think with the korg zero I don't have to buy another soundcard

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast