Is a NetBook ideal for djing (Just looking for opinions)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Is a NetBook ideal for djing (Just looking for opinions)

Is a NetBook ideal for djing from your perspective would you use a net book or a regular laptop ?

Quote Originally Posted by elgi95 View Post
    Is a NetBook ideal for djing from your perspective would you use a net book or a regular laptop ?
    ive seen a couple of djs use a netbook, i would say yes, if your doing regular 2 deck mixing or dvs.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

If its a macbook air then yes...

On a serious note.. I think you'll be fine.. Netbooks now can handle a lot more then before. Just don't get one with an intel atom.. I think theres a fee netbooks running with i3 or i5 but i think their a bit pricey still
    2 Technics M5Gs - 4 Technics mk2s - Novation Dicers - Rane Sixty-two - Monster Beats By Dre. Pro - KrK Rokit 6s - Avid Mini box - Pro Tools - Pioneer DDJ SX - Novation Twitch

Tech Guru

Is it "IDEAL" -- NO.

Just ask yourself how many professional DJ's play on a Netbook. If you are DJing with software, your laptop is the core of your gear. It's your music, your software, your sound output, etc. Would a cheap Netbook be "ideal" absolutly not.

Will it work, that's another question. I've played a 4 hour set on a Netbook with Traktor, so yes it works... but I'd much rather use/trust a Macbook.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

I'd use a Macbook Air in a heartbeat. 11" screens are IMHO ideal. Small enough to really be portable but big enough to be usable.

I could use something smaller than that for Traktor (because I use the Small deck view and leave it in browser only view most of the time anyway) but not SSL (too much crap on the screen you can't get rid of). And I wouldn't be willing to use Windows in a DJ setup under any circumstances.

Actually…I'm not willing to use Windows for anything under any circumstances unless someone is paying me to do it as well as providing the computer and allowing me to use my MBP for anything not directly related to whatever they want me on Windows for. But, I admit that I'm a fan of things that don't make me jump through hoops to do simple things.

Default lappy

I'm using a mac book air 13" top spec and runs great
    i use traktor and ableton and never had any problems

My mate had a netbook, dell i think it was, but had few issues with lagging in traktor however he did end up putting more ram in it and worked out how to run mac os on it which smoothed out a lot of problems

however he still has a tiny screen

Soundcloud sounds!
    Twits and tweets!

I wouldn't really call a macbook air a netbook

If you are talking about an actual $300 netbook then no I wouldn't use one for DJing and it definitely won't run traktor or be fast enough for what I want. I have heard mixed results of people using mixxx with them and they are only good for running stuff like xwax.

Tech Guru

if you are just doing 2 deck mixing they will be fine just don't fill them with crap. I have had tractor scratch pro 2 running with 2 decks dvs and 2 sample decks on a ten year old dell with 512 meg of ram. btw pretty much every netbook s upgradable to two gigs of ram

Tech Guru

If you're looking for a netbook because you want something small, do yourself a favor and look at an Alienware M11x. I got so close to buying a MBP 13" that I was approved for financing - I just couldn't pull the trigger. For the same price as the MBP I was looking at, I could blow out an M11x. After 3 months of the Alienware, I sold my Rain Laptop. The M11x is easily the best computer I've ever owned.

The one upgrade I passed on was the SSD - because I wanted more storage. But Santa got me a Seagate Momentus XT 750GB hybrid drive and now it's screaming fast. And since my original HD was 750GB, I am maintaining an image of the computer (using Acronis True Image). If I ever have a drive failure, I can swap the old drive back in and be back in business in the time it takes to remove a couple screws.

I use to use a 13.3in HP 1030us for traktor. It could handle 2 deck mixing just fine. It struggled a bit with DVS. If your trying to save money, you better look for a good netbook that has something better than an atom. If your lookin for the form factor, find a small laptop with an i3 in it or something. You'll be set.
    Ableton Live 9, Traktor, VCI-400, APC40, QuNeo, Lemur iOS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast