What's a good laptop for DJing
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default What's a good laptop for DJing

Or what is the specs I am looking for in a laptop, I use traktor pro2 and I will probably upgrade to scratch pro and I have a budget of $1500
    Numark mixtrack - Numark DJ IO Sound card - Akai lpd8 - Traktor pro 2 - Senheiser HD205

Tech Guru

Macbook Pro
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Mentor

MacBook Pro! If you have 1500 you can get a 15 inch or a 13 inch with some more ram!

I got one last year, never looking back!

Quote Originally Posted by JonathanBlake View Post
    When I hit Sync I get a double espresso from Midi Out.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by haze324 View Post
    Macbook Pro
    But wouldn't I need an 8 gb ram
    Numark mixtrack - Numark DJ IO Sound card - Akai lpd8 - Traktor pro 2 - Senheiser HD205

Macbook Pro
    with all my respect fuck that,

check the spec of the software you want to use and go higher in specs
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Havik View Post
    But wouldn't I need an 8 gb ram
    8 gb Ram?? That's overkill. I have a 13in MBP i5 with 4 gb ram and 500 hard drive that I purchased for 1200.00. I gig with it every weekend and never had an issue or hiccup.

KeyWee -- what up bro. hey man the title says what's a good laptop for DJing. MBP!!!!!!!!!
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Macbook Pro. Don't bother with more ram, TP2 is a 32-bit application, so it won't address more than the first 4 GB of RAM anyway. I'd also be really surprised if you managed to fill up 4GB of ram with any DJ software (Ableton notwithstanding).

And get an SSD if you can possibly deal with the smaller storage capacities (you want to replace your hard drive with a Mercury Extreme Pro 6G or OCZ Vertex 3). SSDs are the biggest, most important upgrades you can make to computers nowadays, especially since everything worth owning comes with 4GB of RAM already.

Also, the only reason I'm suggesting the MBP over the Macbook or Macbook Air is FireWire. Once people start releasing affordable Thunderbolt audio interfaces and chases for hard drives, the MBPs won't have that much of an advantage for audio work anymore. But after you've used a FW drive, USB2.0 feels too slow to bother with.

If you're determined to use Windows, I've heard that Rain computers are pretty good. You know, except for missing CoreAudio and a real OS.

Tech Guru

I recommend a samsung rv511... max out the ram and youve spent half your money... use the rest on a holiday or something.... dont be a sheep.... check out every possible option and find out what works for you. I hated my mbp I just looked like "every other dj" and worried shitless carrying it around... least if my laptop gets robbed its half as much to replace...
    *Samsung rv 511, 8gb ram, core i5 processor* *Samsung netbook 2gb ram* *Traktor pro 2* *Traktor s4* *midi fighter spectra* *audio technica ath-m50x* *m audio trigger finger pro* *ableton* *fl studio* and a load of other random bits and pieces.... plus I like bacon yo.

Default What's a good laptop for DJing

MacBook pro - I used to hate them till I got one this Christmas. I'm sold. 100%. They are tanks, great battery life, and even better build quality. I have no bias towards macs specifically, but Ive come to hate the entire windows os.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

. I hated my mbp I just looked like "every other dj"
    There's a reason things become "industry standard" ...

Most DJ's use the same 3 or 4 brands of headphones, the same brand of CD decks, the same club mixers, the same 2 or 3 brands of software.

Its not being a sheep, its buying sensible, and buying safe, buying a piece of equipment you won't need to upgrade anytime soon and above all, buying reliable. That is why the majority of DJ's are using them.

A 13' MPB with 4gigs will handle pretty much everything you can throw at it and more.

OR

If you wanna go lightweight, a Macbook Air 13' / 4gigs would do the trick perfectly. (I've seen plenty of big-names playing out on them recently).

Having been a Computer tech for a hella long time, the only serious reason I would ever recommend a windows machine to anyone for any task is if I wanted to get a maintenance contract out of them

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast