Need help recording a mix
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Need help recording a mix

So im a little frustrated right now....Just a few moments ago i attempted to make my first ever mix in traktor pro 2. While i was in the middle of mixing i had a thought that i hoped would not be a problem but it turns out to be exactly what happened....

First, heres my setup:

2 x CDJ-400
    Xone:42
    Kontrol X1
    Macbook Pro

So here is what happened when i tried recording through traktor.... When i would be cueing up the next song in my headphones, i would use my hotcues repeatedly to get on beat. Now while the volume was down on the mixer/speakers and i could hear what i was doing through my headphones, everything i did showed up on my mix. Really frustrating to find this out after recording a 20 minute mix :/

Im sure there is a simple fix to this as im sure it has something to do with using my mixer in external mode and traktor not recognizing when im in cue. Any help would be greatly appreciated as i think playing my mixes back is really going to help me realize where i need the most work. Thanks in advance!
    | 13" MBP (mid 2010) | Traktor Pro 2.0.3 | Audio 8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Akai LPD8 | 2 x CDJ-400 | Allen & Heath Xone 42 | AIAIAI TMA-1 | 2xRokit KRK 6SE WHITE |

Master out and monitor out set to same outputs i would imagine. No soundcard? cant cue without one mate.
    Last edited by Jester; 01-12-2012 at 01:17 AM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

I am running my cdj's aggregated and i can cue no problem....as for my master and monitor outputs i will have to check.
    | 13" MBP (mid 2010) | Traktor Pro 2.0.3 | Audio 8DJ | Kontrol X1 | Akai LPD8 | 2 x CDJ-400 | Allen & Heath Xone 42 | AIAIAI TMA-1 | 2xRokit KRK 6SE WHITE |

You probably have the recording feature set to "internal". Run a cable from the Xone's record out to your Macbook's line-in and record in Audacity
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    You probably have the recording feature set to "internal". Run a cable from the Xone's record out to your Macbook's line-in and record in Audacity
    Xones record out uses rca's....what is the best method of connecting the record out to my macbooks line-in. On that note....what are we considering my macbooks line-in???

Tech Mentor

And just to add....i do have NI Audio 2 that is not being used. Could this be my solution to the record out? I could use an RCA to TRS cable then obviously connect the audio 2 via usb to my macbook. Not really sure what to do from there...lol

The audio 2 does not have inputs. Do what 3heads suggested. Run a 2RCA > Jack cable from the Mixer to your line in on the laptop and record using audacity or similar.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

I use RCA splitters on teh back of my mixer. From there, one line goes to the main out, the other is routed back to my laptop's line in via an RCA -> 1/8 adapter. I record in Audacity.

Works like a charm, and I am guaranteed to only record what comes out of the mixer.

Quote Originally Posted by csmith5888 View Post
    what are we considering my macbooks line-in???
    The headphone jack.

You can set it to input or output in the Sound preferences. For recording, you want it set to line in.

Apart from that, it's just a matter of setting your input gain, which is also in sound preferences (or Audio MIDI Setup Utility).

And you can't use Traktor to record like that only because Traktor can't recognize more than 1 sound card. You could add the Built-in Input to the aggregate device you're using and set the input to be Traktor's record input.

hmmm, my mbp has two 1/8 ( input & output). One for headphones, the other is a line in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast