Pulled the trigger on s4. Quick Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Pulled the trigger on s4. Quick Help

Ok I have my first legit gig coming up in a warehouse party and I had about $800.00 to blow and I went to guitar center and picked it up the s4 for 750 out the door. I did a little bit of research and around that much the traktor s4 was my best bet? (any suggestions are cool) I thought the pioneer mixer route would rape my cash.

My s4 is sitting in my trunk right now and I havent opened it yet because im worried about the connections. (Noob) People talking about no booth out and needed an extra volume knob for the booth? I dont mind buying adapters or addons either.

I just want to know if i take this thing to the warehouse party im going to be able to hook it up no problem and get decent audio.

Also I want to be able to use it for house partys too. I mean I could return the s4 but i dont know why it just seems like a good start for me? What do you guys think?

Thanks again guys!

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

If you are using the S4 directly to the mixer, you can have booth coming out of the second master output pair and controlling it's volume from the monitors or adding a harware gain knob like you have already been told. Chances are if you are playing with someone else then there will be an analogue mixer there.

If you are plugging it in to another mixer then just plug your main into one of the mixer's line in and control the booth volume through there.

Regarding quality, the S4's soundcard is good enough for clubs.

Tech Mentor

if its a party someone else is doing, theres already gonna be a mixer there and all youre doing is running input into one of the channels on the existing mixer. theyll have booth/monitoring already plugged into that mixer. use their mixer's volume control if you need to fiddle with the booth level for ya.

i dont understand why booth out is such a issue when in 99% of situations i can think of youre still gonna be running the S4 into another mixer just like plugging in your own cdj you brought or something
    Kontrol S4 | Novation Remote 25SL Mk.I | Macbook Pro | Shure SRH750DJ
    Soundcloud | Facebook | iTunes Podcast

Tech Convert

Let's just say that there isnt a house mixer either at the warehouse or at the partys I go to , will there be another way to hook up the s4 to a pa no problem ? Or is my only option to hook it up to a house mixer ? It's important that I trow a professional set so I was wondering if the s4 route is the proper way to go

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBacardi View Post
    Let's just say that there isnt a house mixer either at the warehouse or at the partys I go to , will there be another way to hook up the s4 to a pa no problem ? Or is my only option to hook it up to a house mixer ? It's important that I trow a professional set so I was wondering if the s4 route is the proper way to go
    well yeah youve got main outs as RCA and 1/4" TRS so output isnt a problem. if you need to run a booth out for real though, youll need a little hardware volume control added to your cable run. I cant think of a situation where youre going to use the S4 without another mixer though.

Tech Convert

Ok for example a house party ? Why would there be a mixer there isn't it just goin to be me , my s4 , a nice pa or monitors I would bring ?

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBacardi View Post
    Ok for example a house party ? Why would there be a mixer there isn't it just goin to be me , my s4 , a nice pa or monitors I would bring ?
    Depending on the house parties. Sometimes I just take my monitors and connect one set of outs onto my monitors, the other onto the houses home theater system if they have one.

Tech Mentor

unless its some kind of epic estate, you arent going to need different routing for booth speakers, or really need booth speakers at all.

Tech Convert

Alright sounds Good. Looks like I'm going to be using my s4 tomorrow just out of curiosity how big so the monitors need to be to be sufficient enough to fill up a room ? Maybe a 6 or 8?

Tech Mentor

again, hard to give you gear advice unless we know budget, size of crowd, size of room, etc.

personally my apartment in college was equipped with dual 18" powered subs and matching powered tops (back when Mackie was first to market with these things)

we had a lot of thump. YMMV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast