Is Software the bottleneck of Digital DJing and Electronic performance?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is Software the bottleneck of Digital DJing and Electronic performance?

I would say yes, because I always hear people bitching about what they could do if Traktor added/(omfg...fixed) a certain feature, or something ableton needs to add to their software aka cue points.

Talk!
    Ableton Live 9, Traktor, VCI-400, APC40, QuNeo, Lemur iOS

cough "vdj" cough, no restrictions apart from the stereotype you allow to dominate what you are willing to try with it... but the software although being the bottleneck is the essential thing that facilitates digital djing, without it a controller is useless. Imo the issue is peoples ideas come faster than a software company can impliment them, and with the amazing programs we have we are used to getting what we want like never before, so are more open to making a feature request, whereas in pioneers day we got what we were given.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Well, someone needs to think about it before it can be done.

my software doesnt limit me, i use 2 turntables & a mixer, dicers & do my sets with my with no issues. djs need to stop getting wrapped up on gear and remember the 1st thing of djing is playing music. once you do that everything falls into place.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

^true dat
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Guru

I agree with JeSC. I think if anything we've hit a saturation point with software. Yes software can always be improved with new features but really has anyone truly mastered the current version of whatever software they own or what ever controller they own. I almost wish things would slow down a bit. It's very easy to get wrapped up in what these new features allow you to do without realizing that you haven't even perfected something like a simple seamless transition.

I think software is almost ahead of us right now, people want features that they aren't even ready for or ready to fit into there set/workflow.

which is why the current style of ADD play with the effects Dj-ing drives me nuts...

if you got good tunes...let them play...establish a groove...

it's still a bit strange going from two 1200s and a mixer to unlimited mappings, cue points, cheap (in price) music, 4 decks, 40 knobs and 40 buttons....

i am still in awe of it all...i think it's awesome...

i think sometimes the music get's lost in it though...

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    which is why the current style of ADD play with the effects Dj-ing drives me nuts...

if you got good tunes...let them play...establish a groove...

it's still a bit strange going from two 1200s and a mixer to unlimited mappings, cue points, cheap (in price) music, 4 decks, 40 knobs and 40 buttons....

i am still in awe of it all...i think it's awesome...

i think sometimes the music get's lost in it though...
    i agree, if you cant rock a set with 1 or 2 decks, 3 or 4 are not gonna make you a better djs, skills & passion is something technology can create.

I have many ideas for idea hardware & software, but a wise person told me not to give away my ideas for free.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

I think the bottleneck is creativity.

Software and controller companies keep giving people what they claim to want, despite the fact that almost no one has come up with anything the least bit interesting to actually leverage all this technology into a legitimate artform.

Controllerist routines are sometimes fun to watch…kinda like the DMC championships or really any battle DJ…it's like, "wow…that's awesome that you can do that…now let's go to the club and listen to real music."

Jokes aside…everything I've seen on that side of things has been done before using more straightforward tools.

Just because something's obfuscated doesn't make it better.

DJ PowerTools are awesome if your only tool is Traktor. But if you've ever used an MPC (or any other groove box) you know that it's barely scratching the surface of what was possible in the mid 80s. The Phenomena routine is cool until you watch someone make a beat on an MPC60 that's almost as old as I am.

There are really interesting things happening in software and controllers, but I don't think that people have developed the techniques necessary to really use them as a new form of expression…they're just cheaper copies of older technology that run on expensive consumer electronics instead of cheap professional electronics.

And I honestly think that the software and controllers are going to follow the creative jump. It just takes a creative person who can also write/talk getting in touch with the right people…and I don't think it's happened yet.

And I don't think now is the right time to be doing it, not with the weird backlash against controllers and the fetishization of older gear that's been happening in a lot of areas. Maybe when people stop selling $300 plugins to emulate saturation of tape machines that you can buy for $200, it'll start making sense to actually start really trying to push things forward.
    Last edited by mostapha; 01-12-2012 at 08:25 PM.

I'm with Mostapha on this one, and i'll add that :
    The thing is that 10-15 years ago you wouldn't risk to go and do a full routine with turntables, mpc, and fx boxes if you hadn't worked on it a lot. I mean a really hard practice of everything involved, because just to keep everything in sync you'd have to master all of those tools, and it took time and a lot of practice.
    So by the time you had mastered all of the tools, none of the existing limitations to said tools where relevant.
    Whereas today, to have a 4 bar loop, you keep your beatgrids tights, and then you press loop, and tada you get a perfect 4 bar loop. The skill and timing to make this happen without aid is lost on you.
    If you take this example and apply it to all the relevant skills, then yes, if the software is unable to help you due to a lack of options to do it, then it's a bottleneck.
    If you have skills, then it's irrelevant, but sometimes annoying. The example being when a "new" software does a lot of cool new stuff, but is missing the basics, and you rely on the software to be the interface for you to play music. Then yes it's a bottleneck.
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast