Starter dj needs help with finding affordable dj gear.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Starter dj needs help with finding affordable dj gear.

I'm looking for DJ Gear you can control over the control such as Virtual DJ.
    I didn't like Technics Sl1200 because the vinyls were too expensive. and The Technics was a friend of mine i borrowed but he wanted a lot for them.

I've been looking at these;
    http://www.123dj.com/audio/mp3s/ctrlsix.html
    http://www.123dj.com/audio/mp3s/typhoon.html
    http://www.123dj.com/audio/mp3s/djcontrolair.html
    http://www.123dj.com/audio/mp3s/reloopmixageie.html

My price range is horrible, and I'm still looking up and down how much I can spend. I'm lookingat $200 - $300 :l

Maybe less.

I want a nice design (Hopefully) big Joggle wheel things.
    and I want the Left and right Colored meters..

I'm looking for a little color, but i don't know. Doesn't have to be a bit.

Lemme just say this.. A nice Computer DJ Gear that's affordable.

Post links here, Much apperciated thanks so much!

Tech Mentor

First, If you're starting, for a better price you could get the Numark Mixtrack Pro, an amazing piece of equipment that will get you started right away and using the mixtrack pro is a great start as a DJ. The Typhoon is good also but it cost more, the Mixage is at almost the same price but between those two, I'd go with the mixtrack pro. You'd also need some headphones if you want to start, Headphones is something you should NEVER go cheap, controllers some might not perform as well but at least they last and get you started, on the other hand cheap headphones break in a day or two and after 2 days of listening to bad quality you will want to break them yourself, I would reccomend a price range of $50 to $100 in headphones. Check Out the Xone XD40, Numark Red Wave, American Audio HP700, these are cheap starter good headphones. So that leaves us with cheap controllers, if you're going to buy one this is my opinion.

Numark DJ2GO/ Cheap, Basic controller, for a casual or curious DJ. Tiny in size, fun to play with, at just $49 it comes with Virtual DJ but lacks many features.
    Hercules MP3 E2/ Cheap, Tiny, Basic controller, Features more than the DJ2Go, although it misses a soundcard and thats another expense. It's $99
    Numark Mixtrack/ this is the not pro version of the mixtrack, cost $140 but misses the soundcard, for $100 more you could get the pro version of the Mixtrack with Traktor, and a soundcard. A better option, just save a little money.
    Behringer BCD300/ Getting old now, but great starter controller, it covers most of the features, although you probably will want to upgrade the software. This is my favorite along with the Mixtrack Pro. $150 It has a soundcard.
    Hercules MK4/ Really mobile controller, covers the features well and does the job, although its newer, it is the same price as the Behringer BCD3000 and I prefer to go with the BCD3000. $160. It has a soundcard.
    Reloop Mixage IE/ Small Reloop Controller, it works amazingly, the Interface Edition comes with a built-in soundcard and it does a great job at an amazing price of $230 more or less.
    Hercules RMX/ A WORKHORSE, poor jogwheels, but will last you for a lifetime. It does the job and does it very well actually, it has a soundcard and cost around $240 but at this price range you could the mixtrack pro.
    Numark Mixtrack Pro/ The Top Controller for begginers, comes with traktor LE, a soundcard, great jogwheels, great features and leads to a great star, its built to a price (plastic case), but an amazing price of $240, this controller kills any other in price range.
    Vestax Typhoon/ Good traktor controller, its vestax so you know it has great jogwheels, it comes with EQ sliders, a weird feature but if you can live with it, great then. $270
    Torq Xponent/ Comes with Torq software but if you change to traktor you will have no regrets, this is one of my favorites also, great controller, at only $290 it is like pro to me.
    Good Luck, Hope I helped. I spent alot of my time writing this -.-

Tech Mentor

Hey, out of the four I would pick the Typhoon. What are your plans for djing? Do you just want to mix for fun at home or take a serious route and do gigs? ... $200-$300 might be a little tough trying to find a budget controller. $500 would open the door to better options. Any plans on speakers?..
    2 Technics M5Gs - 4 Technics mk2s - Novation Dicers - Rane Sixty-two - Monster Beats By Dre. Pro - KrK Rokit 6s - Avid Mini box - Pro Tools - Pioneer DDJ SX - Novation Twitch

Tech Wizard

Thanks DJSpin for all that information. You're really informative and I'm amazed. Thanks.

Also, DJSpin. Is this the same or do I need the "Pro"
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Numark-M...urchasing-used

Also Jsa83.
    Mostly Home Use -- But I do occasionally have friends wanting me to DJ at their parties.
    I'm also being a Guest DJ at a Glow-Party in a few months. I'll be assisting probably not muhc spinning but my friend who is hosting it said, If I want to and comfortable enough to DJ i can. But he knows I just started so, we'll see.

Tech Wizard

Definitely put money into the headphones, squeezing a mix through a shitty pair of headphones is like trying to take a beautiful landscape photograph from inside of a dirty window.

It is always an intersting choice between getting an all-in-one controller or getting an audio card and a separate controller. I went the route of having a separate audio card and controller. (Gigaport HD and x-session pro) where I bought the audio card first and the controller later. Having the audio card lets you mix with your mouse and the buttons, it leaves much to be desired, but in the process you'll learn what kind of set up you might want.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by tads View Post
    Definitely put money into the headphones, squeezing a mix through a shitty pair of headphones is like trying to take a beautiful landscape photograph from inside of a dirty window.

It is always an intersting choice between getting an all-in-one controller or getting an audio card and a separate controller. I went the route of having a separate audio card and controller. (Gigaport HD and x-session pro) where I bought the audio card first and the controller later. Having the audio card lets you mix with your mouse and the buttons, it leaves much to be desired, but in the process you'll learn what kind of set up you might want.
    Thanks for the infomation.

I original posted this question on Yahoo Answers and got nothing.. so i ended looking up a DJ Forum.

I'm so happy I came to this forum!

I know how to Scratch (Basics) since I've been playing around with a technics 1200. But I wanna go Basic.

Tech Wizard

One more thing, Can someone tell me whats the difference of
    http://www.uniquesquared.com/numark-...audio-i-o.html

and

What one do you guys recommend for me to get?

The secound link is obviously cheapier and I'm headed for that.

I don't need any professional equipment..
    I have Licensed Virtual DJ and my friend is happy to share his traktor pro or something he called it.

I just need the DJ Controller.. and I want it cheap but a great quailty. since I need to buy headphones as you guys said.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Kedonot1 View Post
    One more thing, Can someone tell me whats the difference of
    http://www.uniquesquared.com/numark-...audio-i-o.html

and

What one do you guys recommend for me to get?

The secound link is obviously cheapier and I'm headed for that.

I don't need any professional equipment..
    I have Licensed Virtual DJ and my friend is happy to share his traktor pro or something he called it.

I just need the DJ Controller.. and I want it cheap but a great quailty. since I need to buy headphones as you guys said.
    i think they are the same. the one from guitarcenter is used...
    2 Technics M5Gs - 4 Technics mk2s - Novation Dicers - Rane Sixty-two - Monster Beats By Dre. Pro - KrK Rokit 6s - Avid Mini box - Pro Tools - Pioneer DDJ SX - Novation Twitch

Tech Wizard

I see what the difference is now.
    The Pro has an Audio I/O and the regular doesn't.

if you have a vdj pro licence I would get the standard mixtrack and an audio 2 soundcard.. same price as the mixtrack pro but better sound quality.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast