What is a amplifier? and why do i need it???
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default What is a amplifier? and why do i need it???

i recently purchased the stanton scs.4dj stand alone mix station and im thinking about purchasing these speakers from amazon [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Speakers-Pro-Audio-Monitor-Karaoke/dp/B002AGUPV6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top"]Amazon.com: New Studio Speakers 12" Three Way Pro Audio Monitor Pair for PA DJ Home or Karaoke 1200C: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41tEvV0KQYL.@@AMEPARAM@@41tEvV0KQYL[/ame]
    i've read some good reviews but in some i see people talking about using them with amplifiers. 1.what is an amplifier?
    2.why do i need it?
    3.do i have to have it?
    4.what are some good quality ones that i can use with the speakers listed above ^^

Tech Wizard

also what do you guys think about these?
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Dual-BP1204-1100-Watt-Illumination-Subwoofer/dp/B000UTMDOC/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1326648064&sr=8-13"]Amazon.com: Dual BP1204 12-Inch 1100-Watt Illumination Bandpass Subwoofer: Car Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41sw-u8082L.@@AMEPARAM@@41sw-u8082L[/ame]

Tech Mentor

You need an amplifier to amplify the signal coming from your mixer then send it to your speakers. You can't run passive speakers without an amp, check out powered or active speakers as they have an amp built in.

The speakers at the top look and probably sound pants lol i'd suggest doing some research or giving us guys on the forums a rough budget and asking for advice.

Also the subs you posted are car subs, ment to be installed in a car boot.

Tech Guru

Stop.

For bedroom use, you will be MUCH better off with a set of PC 2.1 speakers from your local big box electronics retailer.

The speakers you showed are not worth spending money on. The subwoofer is for a car...as long as the space you will be using them in is the same size as the interior of a car, they will be fine...but they are not suitable for larger spaces.

The amplifier is what converts the low voltage level signal from the mixer (or sound card) into a larger voltage signal to actually drive the speakers. If you want to use speakers larger than headphones (and positioned farther from your ears) then you will need an amplifier.

Amplifiers can be external to the speakers (e.g. passive speakers), or built into the speakers (e.g. active speakers). Both are reasonable choices, the amp+passive is ultimately more flexible, while the active speakers are easier to setup.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Guru

Firstly, What are you trying to do with these speakers?

If they are for djing/listening to music at home, you definitely won't need 12 inch PA speakers, id look at something like the Krk Rp5s, which make pretty decent studio monitors if you feel like playing around with production, and they can also have a subwoofer added if you feel the need.

If you want to set up your own soundsystem for quite large parties/gigs id reccomend some active PA speakers with a nice sub, something like Mackie Thumps.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Maxted View Post

If they are for djing/listening to music at home, you definitely won't need 12 inch PA speakers, id look at something like the Krk Rp5s, which make pretty decent studio monitors if you feel like playing around with production, and they can also have a subwoofer added if you feel the need.

If you want to set up your own soundsystem for quite large parties/gigs id reccomend some active PA speakers with a nice sub, something like Mackie Thumps.
    indeed +1

djproben - "But who can resist an album called "the Gay 90s"! I assumed it was going to be a lot of Moby and Keoki...."

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
    You need an amplifier to amplify the signal coming from your mixer then send it to your speakers. You can't run passive speakers without an amp, check out powered or active speakers as they have an amp built in.

The speakers at the top look and probably sound pants lol i'd suggest doing some research or giving us guys on the forums a rough budget and asking for advice.

Also the subs you posted are car subs, ment to be installed in a car boot.
    i need some speakers for djing, i only have about 200 to spend but i herd that there are some out there that would work for my price range.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Maxted View Post

also the Mackie C200 look like they would work, what kind of sub would i need? does it need a sub at all? i will mostly be playing electro house with hard bass.
    Last edited by DjGuy; 01-15-2012 at 03:45 PM.

are you for real bro... i know there are many people on here asking basic questions and they are and should be always welcome, and at one stage we ALL didnt know much about anything, but surely you know WTF an amp is....
    GOOGLE its easier
    Please LIKE MY PAGE FACEBOOK Page and I'll Return The Favor

)))---|> http://facebook.com/DjBullyBolger <|---(((

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlaggard View Post
    are you for real bro... i know there are many people on here asking basic questions and they are and should be always welcome, and at one stage we ALL didnt know much about anything, but surely you know WTF an amp is....
    GOOGLE its easier
    lol

I agree

The car subs are priceless
    SC | MC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast