Ableton Suite or Live + Max for live, dilemma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Ableton Suite or Live + Max for live, dilemma

so I'm trying to take advantage of Ableton's sale before it ends, and I'm having trouble deciding, so I thought I'd ask for opinions. For those of you who are live users, considering the total price is exactly the same, should I go for Ableton Suite or Live with Max for Live?

Since I got the basic Ableton Akai edition, I've been having fun recording my girlfriends voice and then I've been creating beats and arranging songs around it. I'm quickly running into the limitations of the version of live I have and want to expand on this, which of these two options would you suggest as a way to this further?

Tech Mentor

can you wait for bitwig?

Quote Originally Posted by no_rex4u View Post
    can you wait for bitwig?
    THIS ^

I had the same question myself yesterday. The more I think of it, the more I check Bitwig, the more it looks like a winner.

Not that I don't like Ableton, I have it since awhile and it is really good, but Bitwig looks really promising.

Saving money is fine, no problem with that, but if you need to spend again to get something better (or equivalent) that better suite your need in couple of days/weeks... then it sucks.

I also suggest you to wait Bitwig and subscribe to their Beta Release
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by no_rex4u View Post
    can you wait for bitwig?
    That's going to be a long time before there is a release, beta testing hasn't even started yet.

Agreed, but in meantime he have Ableton Lite, just need to find some freebies 'round
    Vst, Soundpack... how long is long with Bitwig, nobody knows yet

Tech Convert

Thanks guys, Bitwig looks cool and all, but for now, I'd like help with my current dilemma since I onlpy have about a half hour left.

It's 8:30 am in Berlin right now, probably the deal is already over.

Max for live have it's advantages but you can add it later if you want to mess with.

If you want to produce right now with a wide arsenal of tools, go for Suite.

If you're looking to develop your own thingy OR need a plugin requiring MAX for live, go with Live + Max.

To mix up things more, (sorry ), you could buy Live + Max & dig some free & really cool VST here and there.

To me, Live + Max is probably a more "versatile" and smart choice on the long run, but it's me.

Suite is the better choice.

Max4Live is awesome and creates a lot of possibilities, but if you don't already know that you want it, it'll probably just sit unused…unless you're just planning on using other people's stuff, in which case you should already know whether you want that or the synths and effects that come with Suite.

Tech Convert

well, I went for Live + Max for live.

It was sort of a snap decision, but I figured I'd have more fun creating my own instruments in Max and using the other crazy stuff people come up with, than I would making stuff with the more conventional instruments that Ableton has packed into Suite.

Plus, if I'm really missing it, I can always pick up suite in the holiday sale next year.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Also, Bitwig does look awesome, I'll be signing up for the beta shortly.

Tech Guru

Max for Live is very powerful with the right controllers, it depends on what you need more soft synths or something that can be fully stripped apart, modded etc. are you a tinkerer or just like to make music? I have both and find the instruments pretty indispensable but Maxforlive is great when you also have the lemur for example

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast