What do you think about the new KontrolX_?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you think about the new KontrolX_?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=SGxd1Cm2_Sc

What are your thoughts on the Released(no it's not leaked) video on the kontrol X_?

What do you guys think the chances are of them doing proprietary bullshit like they did with the S4 and S2 and make it impossible to re purpose it without losing functionality?
    Considering that there's no jog wheels, and nobody's going to be using those faders for pitch, I don't see any reason at all to use their very limiting HD bullshit on this, instead of standard midi.... But I KNOW they're going to....

personally, I think NI needs to realize what their niche in the market is. Serato has the traditional DJ scene in the bag, and ableton has the layering loops/clips scene down. What Traktor has is amazing effects, cue points and cue point juggling, and the ability to easily mix four decks on the fly. THAT is what they should be focusing on... not trying to make some smaller bastard child of ableton, like they seem to be in this video.

Right now the only valid use for sample decks that isn't already done better in traktor's track decks, is the ability to pull loops from track decks on the fly. And even then it's only useful if you're going to layer them. Other than that they're useless. Track decks are still better for samples, as you can pack twice as many in a track, plus you can put cue points in the middle of samples. Also, ableton still makes more sense for playing pre-recorded loops.

I'm sure they've brought the new sample decks much further in the new version, but it's still going to be a bastard version of ableton... So I don't agree with why.

I think they should be expanding the functionality of the cue point system. When the first picture was released, I was excited because it seemed to me like they were going to double the maximum number of cue points, because of the 16 pads, and allow us to color code them. This would be amazing. I was hoping to use the pads for cuepoints and a mini fighter-style effects grid, and use the faders and knobs for effect combos. I'm afraid that i won't get to do that without losing functionality, because that's what they did with the S4.

Basically what I'm saying is: AWESOME idea for hardware, terrible idea for the direction of the software/mapping.

Also, guess at the price? I'm gonna say $600 to start

Tech Guru

wow. way to fly off the handle without actually using either of the new software or hardware. Assumption is the mother of all fuckups

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

They will use HID on this, like they do with the X1. Regarding funtionality tied to the default map, quite possible, but can't tell really until they release it. Most of the stuff seams to be "easily" duplicated.

Tech Guru

It's easy to make your custom controls for the X1.

And NI are very smart there are a lot of Serato guys using X1s now as well, theres also a lot of Serato users coming over to Traktor.

Definately not as excited about it as a supplement to my S2 as I was when I first saw the pads. I'll personally be scouting for a used Maschine instead. I'm with the OP on this one, not into Ableton style clip launching DJ style whatsoever.

NI shouldn't follow "what the other use", they want and will introduce their own way and people will make their decision. Staying with their old but good workflow or develop something else. This is what makes NI... NI. Not (x company) + Ableton, Y company + Z company.

NI can do whatever they want and people will follow or continue to work as they already work. It's more a roadmap than playing sheep.

Definitely a winner for me for most gigs, while unsure for bigger gigs where I go out with Traktor, Ableton & Maschine.

2012 you smell good.
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

It really bothers me when people spout of words like useless and stupid when talking about things like this. Maybe it's useless to you, but it's not to everybody.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

you have defiantly gone out on a limb for a product that we know very little about but a teaser video/picture..
    Macbook Pro - Kontrol S2 - Kontrol X1 - Traktor Pro 2 - Fool’s Gold x AIAIAI TMA-1 (for gigs) AKG 271hd (for studio and recording) on the way: DJM 800 with 2 CDJ 2000s
    THE SET UP

Tech Wizard

I am excited about the new controller. I think it looks really fun and would be wonderfully gaudy with DJTT knobs and faders.

Also, I look forward to NI adding features to the sample decks, which I don't use currently. I hope there is some integration with Maschine, cause sample decks could be really useful in that environment.

Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    It really bothers me when people spout of words like useless and stupid when talking about things like this. Maybe it's useless to you, but it's not to everybody.
    Nah, I'm actually confident on this one. I'll happily offer to show anyone how to use track decks to do all of the same things sample decks do, but better. The only exception is specifically *layering* loops that you pull on the fly. If you use that specific feature with more than one loop at a time, then yes, sample decks are useful. For any other features of the sample decks that you think are useful, just ask and I'll happily instruct you on how to do it better on a track deck.

Quote Originally Posted by DJAttackZ
    you have defiantly gone out on a limb for a product that we know very little about but a teaser video/picture..
    I agree sort of. It's definitely possible that it does more for things besides sample decks... And maybe they are rebuilding the mapping system, and all of this is moot. But all we have to go on right now is what we see, and all they've shown us is some stupid ableton-attempt crap.

But I'm afraid, because every single control label on the hardware seems to tailor to sample decks... I know they're not going to change those, and NI's way of mapping (HiD) tends to be impossible to re purpose without losing functionality.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast