So does anyone spin just vinyl anymore?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default So does anyone spin just vinyl anymore?

Does anyone on here spin purely on vinyl anymore?

This is my question.

I know there is one night locally where the resident DJ's always spin DnB on vinyl. They never use CDJ's or DVS, and they keep up with the times and also throwback some serious chibs. But that's pretty much it. (Elements @ The Phoenix Landing in Cambridge, MA. Excellent, excellent weekly if anyone is ever in the area).

I've even heard Andy C has moved to Traktor? I've seen him a few times and I've only seen him spin straight vinyl, so I don't know if it's true or not.

I know it may sound odd, but there's something I just love about spinning on vinyl. I'm not good at beat-matching it yet honestly, but I'm working on it. As I recently came into a huge amount of early 2000's DnB vinyl, it's been almost nostalgic to listen to. (That's about the same time I really started getting into EDM... DnB specifically). And there's just something wonderful about not having a computer hooked up.

As I "mostly" listen to Dubstep, and I don't have much of a vinyl collection, it's a tough call for me. I've been debating selling serato and putting that money toward getting a solid bunch of records... But as I've never really been a vinyl junky, and it's a pain in the ass to get, is it even worth it at this point? I have Serato and it's nice being able to mix my Mp3's. But I almost feel the need to go "backwards" and start being the guy who spins vinyl. Because no one does that shit anymore, and I really enjoy seeing a DJ spinning on straight vinyl, and almost feel it could be a competitive edge in this market which is loads of people trying to get in on DJing.

And as much as I appreciate the controllers coming out, it really is spamming the scene with kids who don't know how to mix for shit. I mean, I've never played out myself yet, but you can tell. And I don't want to get into a pissing contest about it, but it reinvigorates my want to just play vinyl. Because playing on vinyl isn't something you can do overnight.

Anyone else feel a similar pull? Or am I alone on this one lol
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Depending on where Im spinning, I use vinyl all night.......but I been doing it since 1982!

Quote Originally Posted by DjZzeless View Post
    Depending on where Im spinning, I use vinyl all night.......but I been doing it since 1982!
    See that's the thing. The only people I see doing it is people whom have been spinning for a long time. Just getting into it, it almost seems overlooked at this point.

I'm not afraid of the $$ aspect to it (because there's something serious to be said about building an awesome vinyl collection of stuff you love, the audiophile in me goes bonkers over the thought), but I haven't seen... anyone in the past 5 years really spinning vinyl who hadn't been spinning it for ages.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Theres a local classy bar where the DJ's spin both vinyl and CDJ's. I was chatting to the girl who spins on friday nights who spins only vinyl. She plays at a club as well on SSL, but loves the feel of spinning RnB and Jazz on straight vinyl, no laptop.

Only If I mix an old school anthem set, I cant see myself buying vinyl again as I have a cupboard full of it that never gets used because it's old and doesn't translate into todays music that cost a small fortune. But If you want the vinyl feeling just don't look at the screen, that's what I do
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

I spin on both DVS and vinyl. My buddy hooked me up with a crate of early 90s house, plus I have a pile of dnb, and love just throwing on records, and turning off the computer.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

I spin vinyl 90% of the time. The only time I even hook up my dvs is if I'm doing a bday party, or if I feel like spinning hiphop at home.

I would keep Serato if I were you.

I use www.discogs.com for 95% of my vinyl. I pick up tons of records for around $2 each, you just have to browse around. But I also mostly buy/spin older house records so if you are the type of guy that must have the newest releases maybe vinyl isn't for you. I started with vinyl about 8 years ago and I've been addicted since.

I'm also not the type to spend a buttload of money for a record just to say that I have it. Every record that I have gets played
    I did it because it was fun. It's fun to do bad things.

At one of my local joints. Most djs there spin cdjs, or vinyl. I spin on cdjs, but this one girl I know spins dnb all night long straight vinyl. Not going to lie, she wasn't super hot, but she got way sexier to me after I saw her spin vinyl as smooth as butter.

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline Brine View Post
    And there's just something wonderful about not having a computer hooked up.
    QFT. Like others, I can totally understand you. I use DVS for convenience and loops and shit but I enjoy buying the occasional older house on discogs to refresh my tiny vinyl bag when I feel like playing "unplugged". Something about the extra care and focus makes it relaxing in a way.

I'm somewhat of a technophile, work in IT, have been quite the geek in the past, but sometimes I just like to not depend on a computer for everything - that's one more reason vinyl only is liberating, at least at home.

--

I've seen a fair amount of significant djs in the past few years here but even the known purists use some CDs along vinyl (Ricardo Villalobos + Raresh, the Ostgut Ton guys and gals mostly). Some are CD only.

Come to think of it, I think it's only an actual married couple of local DJs, label owners, former record store owners, whom I've seen play vinyl ONLY. Not a single CD wallet in sight.

Control vinyl seems to be the dominant player. Sometimes with a bit of real cd/vinyl sprinkled in.

It seems to still be staple of dnb heads to spin vinyl. Most, if not all other places I frequent with other genres of music are either on CDJ's or digital. I view dnb as the last bastion of hope for vinyl.

I'd love to grow my wax collection. I have everything on digital because its cheap, with a view to picking up the best on vinyl. The older stuff is ridiculously expensive though, lenzman - Fade Away/Flamethrower is £70 on discogs O_o

It is freeing ditching the computer, its easier to listen to the tracks rather than be thinking about which cue point you need or being distracted by waveforms.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast