beatmatching [YOUR OPINION plz]
    Tech Mentor

Default beatmatching [YOUR OPINION plz]

ok i live in a apartment building, made out of wood. so i cannot use my computer speakers after 6pm because there is a lot of families here and yeah.

so my second best option to practice how to beatmatch is using my monitoring headphones that i love because they sound like im inside the club

i have found two interesting ways of using my headphones to practice how to beatmatch: [and would like your opinion on which way is better / or worked better for you]

FIRSTLY, playing one track on left cup and playing the second track on the right cup. full hi,mid,lows! (i came to conclusion that this takes time to get used to and seems to be a bit more work in terms of concentration than the second method -see next option)

SECONDLY, i just played both tracks both together, but i would turn off the lows on one. but i found this a bit easier to practice on but what i did not like was how i couldn't hear both the entire track of just one track, which is one thing i liked about the first method where i could listen to the entire track since i was playing one track per headphone cup, but i believe this second method would be more accurate? (i havent tried having both the lows turned at a lower setting at the sametime -maybe something to try?]

using the first method, i think(not sure) could be a bit tricky?

note to you : i collected 6 records total so far [just started], so it seems like i will need a much larger collection of 15-30 record before i can find two tracks that will blend in together. i believe finding two tracks that blend in together will be much more easier to practice how to beatmatch with, correct? i find 1 house track and 1 techno track, just seems really off in terms of "vibe" jumping 1 vibe to another [very blatant] and i found harder for me to beatmatch them together.
    2x numark TT's, djm350, and vinyls/records and that's all i use man.

Tech Mentor

I'd say you should put more time into it before worrying about the right method. If you think one method is easier to beat match, you should use that. Then, when you realize that another method is more practical as a training towards the show at a club, you should switch over.

If you walked up to me without a list of methods to choose from, I'd tell you to play one song in both ears and another song in just one ear. I will differentiate the two songs like that because at one point I realized that my beat matching method was to "dance to one track while listening to the other" - not listening to both.

I'd add that you're probably correct it is easier to practice beat matching with tracks that blend well, because in the beginning, all you can tell may be whether the two "sound good" on top of each other. Out of sync sounds bad, but there are other stuff that make two tracks sound bad and that might be confusing in the beginning.

Unless you really feel the need to do some more warm up practice, though, I would advise you not to seek for an "easier way to practice". There really isn't much to practice beat syncing wise... the track is either too fast or too slow. Simple stuff.

The hard way will get you up to speed faster, I think.
    Last edited by DJ MiCL; 01-19-2012 at 12:39 PM.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJ MiCL View Post
    I'd say you should put more time into it before worrying about the right method. If you think one method is easier to beat match, you should use that. Then, when you realize that another method is more practical as a training towards the show at a club, you should switch over.

If you walked up to me without a list of methods to choose from, I'd tell you to play one song in both ears and another song in just one ear. I will differentiate the two songs like that because at one point I realized that my beat matching method was to "dance to one track while listening to the other" - not listening to both.

I'd add that you're probably correct it is easier to practice beat matching with tracks that blend well, because in the beginning, all you can tell may be whether the two "sound good" on top of each other. Out of sync sounds bad, but there are other stuff that make two tracks sound bad and that might be confusing in the beginning.

Unless you really feel the need to do some more warm up practice, though, I would advise you not to seek for an "easier way to practice". There really isn't much to practice beat syncing wise... the track is either too fast or too slow. Simple stuff.

The hard way will get you up to speed faster, I think.
    i found your post helpful. and yeah you reminded me, i did once tried, hearing one track playing on both ears, then i had the second track i was trying to practice to beatmatch with or bring in after the main track on just one ear. i should give that another shot.

that makes sense, in the club you hear more the main track that your currently playing, then the second track you trying to bring in, you wont hear as much. so on saturday when i spend the day testing out my 3 new records i received this week, ill use that method instead. and yeah your right, "the track is either too fast or too slow" -that should be one of my main focus. on top of my other interests when selecting two tracks.
    2x numark TT's, djm350, and vinyls/records and that's all i use man.

Tech Mentor

You're about the politest person I know who's asked a question regarding beat matching. I'm sure you'll be great at what you do in no time. Have fun!