24 min mix classis hip-hop
    Tech Wizard

Default 24 min mix classics hip-hop

Hey guys, I just made a 24 min mix with some classics (2pac, dre, snoop....)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxECpQroIFI

from 4 to 8 min, there's a bit too much of beat juggling (many will say "it sounds like crap" but don't care , it was like some training for me )

Enjoy, feedbacks are very welcome.
    Last edited by DeejayAlex; 01-20-2012 at 10:29 AM.
    Mac Book Pro 13", 1x Stanton ST150, TTM 57 SL.

Tech Mentor

Honest opinion and real talk: The track selection is good. I'm loving the whole West Coast vibe and the whole Dr Dre, Snoop and 2pac tracks, however, the only thing missing is flow to your mix. Beat juggling has to be incorporated to elevate the tune and to engage the listener (overdo it and it gets boring quick). Also scratching over the tracks is good but needs to be used a bit more sparingly if the skills aren't there. The transitions between tracks are good and the use of EQ is ok (one criticism, if you mix out of one track then don't drop it back in again off beat). All in all it's not a bad mix - keep it up and you'll get there.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    Honest opinion and real talk: The track selection is good. I'm loving the whole West Coast vibe and the whole Dr Dre, Snoop and 2pac tracks, however, the only thing missing is flow to your mix. Beat juggling has to be incorporated to elevate the tune and to engage the listener (overdo it and it gets boring quick). Also scratching over the tracks is good but needs to be used a bit more sparingly if the skills aren't there. The transitions between tracks are good and the use of EQ is ok (one criticism, if you mix out of one track then don't drop it back in again off beat). All in all it's not a bad mix - keep it up and you'll get there.
    I know the "beatjuggling" session was messy (and often out of phases)

"one criticism, if you mix out of one track then don't drop it back in again off beat"

I don't get this (I'm not an english speaker), you talk about the transition between "the next episode" and "who am i" ?

and what do you bean by "flow"? (i know the meaning, but i don't get it)
    Last edited by DeejayAlex; 01-24-2012 at 11:04 PM.
    Mac Book Pro 13", 1x Stanton ST150, TTM 57 SL.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DeejayAlex View Post
    I know the "beatjuggling" session was messy (and often out of phases)

The beatjuggling was often off beat.

"one criticism, if you mix out of one track then don't drop it back in again off beat"

What I mean is you mixed out of the track then played the other track again in a random place and totally out of sync. You just need to work on your timing.

I don't get this (I'm not an english speaker), you talk about the transition between "the next episode" and "who am i" ?

This transition is quite smooth. What I mean by transition is the smooth mix between two tracks.

and what do you bean by "flow"? (i know the meaning, but i don't get it)
    By flow I mean the mix has a groove and keeps to a set pace as in it doesn't slow down or speed up too much and generally "flows" (it's actually quite hard to explain this word!)