Thinking about selling my Maschine for an MPD 32 + Ableton Setup

Default Thinking about selling my Maschine for an MPD 32 + Ableton Setup

Hey guys,

i'm using ableton live quite extensively. Its simply my one for all solution when it comes to production/djing or live elements for my bandprojects.
    i've bought the maschine over 1 1/2 years ago and i dont use it anymore since i have ableton live. the whole concept of live is much better for me.

so im thinking about selling my maschine and buying an mpd 32 + komplete 8. this would upgrade my setup definetly.

but there are some serious questions i want you to ask before i make the decision:

1. i practice alot with the maschine my finger drumming. the pads have a good response and feel very good. some people say the akai mpd pads s**k big time. what's your opinion? ( i guess that you just have to hit them harder, i've used an mpc 4000 before so i know the pad response works)

2. how is the built quality of the mpd. there are vids around with broken faders and all this stuff....

3. how is the integration within ableton and the drum racks? ( i know its basically just midi but you never know...)

thx for your answers

regs
    addi307

I had an MPD32 a while ago but I thought it sucked, along with just about every other midi only controller of that type. the last thing I would want to do is go back to ableton drum racks.

Maschine does so much more and the pads are great. But really I love the maschine workflow and samples plus the step sequencing.

Are you saying you've never used maschine with ableton? They integrate just fine. Set up you scenes in maschine then run maschine as a VST and you can have empty clips trigger maschine scenes. It's a pretty decent workflow.

I try to do most of the drums in maschine standalone then set up scenes in maschine and bring the project into ableton as a VST and you get the best of both worlds. Set up clips to trigger program actions to sequence maschine inside ableton it's pretty simple.

you are right maschine is great for itself, but with ableton i think its too much.
    i lke the drum racks more than maschine. sounds weird but i have the feeling i am waaaay more flexible with drumracks than with maschine. furthermore if i buy komplete 8 have battery 3 which is amazing for drum sounds.

for me its making no sense to use maschine within ableton. its tooo much.

edit: so the pads are shit?
    Last edited by addi307; 01-20-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Tech Wizard

set up the pads to trigger midi notes (not control change) in ableton, and map the different rack parameters to the knobs.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebd24 View Post
    set up the pads to trigger midi notes (not control change) in ableton, and map the different rack parameters to the knobs.
    the great hting is that the pads of the mpd are chromatically unlike the maschine pads. so i can be use the drumracks very easily

Quote Originally Posted by addi307 View Post
    the great hting is that the pads of the mpd are chromatically unlike the maschine pads.
    Then setup the maschine pads to be chromatic
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

[youtube]wXHh8PJnmic[/youtube]

get some phat pads and corx if you go with the mpd
    http://www.mpcstuff.com/akmpcmpdthfa.html
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    Then setup the maschine pads to be chromatic
    you got me

Tech Wizard

you can assign a pad to any note in the control editor