Curious...How many utilize the Beat-Jump feature LIVE?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Curious...How many utilize the Beat-Jump feature LIVE?

Hey Whats up Guys,

Curious to know, how many use the Beatjump function in Traktor on a LIVE track. I've discovered many uses for it that help with preparation of tracks, but just not getting use to using it over a Live playing record. Seems like it doesn't matter amount of beats you jump, 8,16,32, you'll always hear a slight hiccup in the music. Is there something I'm missing? Doing everything in phrase here, but wondering if you guy's use certain technique's that make it go un-detected.

Thanks in advance~!

only to scrub thru tracks when i'm lining up a new track. never when the tune is playing
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

a) your beatgrids aren't properly set
    b) your latency is way too low.

The only issue i had is if the track changes dramatically or the phrasing isn't spot on.
    Last edited by padi_04; 01-21-2012 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    a) your beatgrids aren't properly set
    b) your latency is way too low.
    Agreed. While I don't really use it much myself. It "jumps" perfectly when my grids are set.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

yeah I dig the beatjump feature; have buttons mapped to go +/- 32, 16, 1, and 1/2. And it sounds perfect if the grids are set right.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Mentor

I think the OP is talking about a "live performance" track, like jazz and rock, no?

In which case, there really isn't any way you can properly set the grids so the advice would be not to use beat jump. If you know where you tend to want to skip, you should set a cue point (as well as a new set of grids that starts spot on for the first beat) at the destination.

I use beat jump all the time. If I'm not sure what's waiting for me at the exit (say, 8 bars later), I would add a little delay before the jump and make a short "fill in" and jump so that even if the song dramatically changes it can even sound like a new edit.
    Last edited by DJ MiCL; 01-21-2012 at 03:24 AM.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJ MiCL View Post
    I think the OP is talking about a "live performance" track, like jazz and rock, no?

In which case, there really isn't any way you can properly set the grids so the advice would be not to use beat jump. If you know where you tend to want to skip, you should set a cue point (as well as a new set of grids that starts spot on for the first beat) at the destination.

I use beat jump all the time. If I'm not sure what's waiting for me at the exit (say, 8 bars later), I would add a little delay before the jump and make a short "fill in" and jump so that even if the song dramatically changes it can even sound like a new edit.
    I was referring to dance music, IE: house and Tech house.

My beatgrid's are always set properly, can assure you that's not the issue. Interesting technique with delay, going to give that a try for sure!

Did a short, 1-track recording. Check it out, see if you notice anything.

I use it all the time, more often, see always, on the "Slave" track, this way I don't hear anything "bad".
    Steve Zorilow: Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Twitter

Tech Mentor

Hmm. It sounds more like an audio dropout than the destination being out of sync to the original position, so yeah, your beat grids could be fine and still get this.

The times that I got audio dropouts like these were when I was using JackOSX or SoundFlower and did graphic heavy (heavy my ass, is what I really think, but) processes like zooming in to the wave form. Don't know, perhaps you are getting audio dropouts because when you jump, the wave form is updated to the new position and that's heating up the CPU (my ass).

What's the waveform zoom size when you are doing this? Does the same thing happen when you have the Decks in "Micro" size? Computer specs?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJ MiCL View Post
    Hmm. It sounds more like an audio dropout than the destination being out of sync to the original position, so yeah, your beat grids could be fine and still get this.

The times that I got audio dropouts like these were when I was using JackOSX or SoundFlower and did graphic heavy (heavy my ass, is what I really think, but) processes like zooming in to the wave form. Don't know, perhaps you are getting audio dropouts because when you jump, the wave form is updated to the new position and that's heating up the CPU (my ass).

What's the waveform zoom size when you are doing this? Does the same thing happen when you have the Decks in "Micro" size? Computer specs?
    Hmmm. Thinking about it, might be possible? I've seen my waveforms sometimes look as if they're playing delayed? (Moving slowed down for a sec during normal play) It's weird, haven't seen that alot, but it has happened. That a cause possible? Don't know what would cause that...

Waveform size, is always at default. Haven't ever played on micro, so don't know if it would happen. Suppose, I could give it a shot and do another recording same song and see.

Computer specs: Macbook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8GB 1067MHz DDR3
    Traktor: Latency (512) Processing (11.6ms) Output (5.8ms) Overall (17.4ms)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast