s2 mixing two songs question.
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default s2 mixing two songs question.

So i recently just bought a s2 & macbook pro, some nice headphones 3 days ago.

Been playing around with it i love it, i found two songs both progressive trance songs. I enjoy and start to try and mix them together. It sounds okay, wondering what i need to make it sound excellent.

When mixing two songs, you want the same genre correct? Like two progressive trance songs not 1 song Electro house the other trance.

I match bpms and select the tracks i like. I Start one track, then find a good spot to bring in the other track. Are you suppose to play both tracks at the same time? It sounds pretty bad when two songs playing at the same time, so i play one song for like 8 minutes then slide the slider to the other track. I'm not sure if thats mixing songs. Not the best transitions like I've heard in person.
    So i download a accapella and decide to play that ontop of the track thats playing. Not sure if I'm mixing correctly. Any tips help, I've watched youtube videos but they have a lot of extra midi controllers with they're s2.

Im just using s2 & downloading songs that are same genre and playing one, then stop it, play the other song. Any guidance helps. Heres my first track, i want it a lot better. I'm not dancing to my song, I'm pretty sure nobody else is either lol.

Fascinated by pope:chowmein

Last edited by ExTrCt.; 01-23-2012 at 10:21 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIsPx...layer_embedded

Rinse and Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by ExTrCt. View Post
    When mixing two songs, you want the same genre correct? Like two progressive trance songs not 1 song Electro house the other trance.
    Not entirely true in most cases. Build your library with tracks you, yes YOU love and enjoy listening to and practice practice practice.
    Last edited by Zaniac; 01-23-2012 at 10:56 PM.
    "Wow! I wanna be just like your friend! Thats honestly what i told my mom and dad when i was about 11 years old...i said when i grow up i wanna dj for rich people"

go to youtube n type in 'DJsounds' its just footage of pro dj's mixing

http://youtu.be/OS7eJeqfd_I

Banned

Alright watching both videos right now, thanks hopefully it will teach me fast. Im eager to get better

You need to understand music phrasing also, and how bars/measures work. You always need to start your second track's first beat on the first beat of the playing track's measure. You will notice that transitions and new elements happen usually every 32 beats, or little things come in or go out at 16 or 8 beats. So when you have these beats lined up with your 2 tracks things will always drop out/come in together.

when you have 2 tunes playing at same time lower the bass on the one coming in, after 4/8 bars drop the bass from outgoing track and bring in the bass of the previously bass-less track. that can help

for an extra trick drop the bass 1 beat before a down-beat (first beat of a bar) before bringing the next tracks bass in
    keepin' it real since 1999... DJAdamDaniel.co.uk

Banned

Alright thank you. Both helpful tips.
    My friend was trying to explain the bars also. I guess i need to learn those better. I just bring in the song whenever i feel like. Usually when vocals are in, i bring a nice beat to play ontop of the vocals. Sometimes it sounds okay other times is not good at all. I need to learn those bars you're talking about.

I just tried to make a better blend of two songs last night i spent an hour trying to learn and make something good . Check my signature listen to Maxwell House if you got time let me know your thoughts on it. If it sucks, if its horrible or what i need to work on. The transitions could be a lot better.

Tech Wizard

Open up the S2 instructions.
    They take you through the act of mixing two songs that are provided with Traktor.
    It really helps and acts more like a tutorial. The demo tracks already have a beatgrid created and it will help you get a feel about mixing two songs. I found it helpful for myself because I just made the switch to Traktor software.

Please try to learn to mix and beatmatch WITHOUT sync enabled. You really need to get the feel of nudging a track forward and backwards and riding the pitch fader. It's honestly more fun, than pushing play and sync

Banned

I open my Traktor Kontrol s2 setup guide. Says nothing on how to mix songs.

People keep telling me to stay away from sync. Even when i do push sync my music isn't sounding the way i want, its still challenging for me to make two songs sound decent.

Ive had my gear since the 19th. And I've been teaching myself all these musical terms.
    No dj friends to show me examples or give me directions. I read online and try out new things, i went to guitar center today and setup gear and they show me how to use my equipment. They don't use traktor 2 software, so were all learning the program together. But they showed me some new tricks that i didn't know before. Add some more flavor to the songs. Now i just need to work on timing correctly i go back monday. He's going to setup a traktor s2 on the store iMac and plug in some good speakers. Since all i have is headphones no speakers to play out loud. I learn more in person on monday should be exciting though

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast