New Macbook Pros coming? - Page 7
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    i'm not sure which to choose between the mbp or air either... i do kind of like the air from what i've seen but maybe more storage is handy... tho i keep most of my stuff on external drives anyway - an air should have enough space for a decent amount of mp3's...

The thing is I've never even touched an Air before and they are a bit more expensive.

I don't even mess with tunes under 320kbps so my guess is 128 gb would get filled rather quickly. I was aiming to get the 750gb upgrade with the MBP.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Lukas1 View Post
    The thing is I've never even touched an Air before and they are a bit more expensive.

I don't even mess with tunes under 320kbps so my guess is 128 gb would get filled rather quickly. I was aiming to get the 750gb upgrade with the MBP.
    not too much more expensive - tho if i went for an air i wouldn't also be able to stretch to a bigger ssd.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Guru

the 256G Air is the one most worthy. Compared to the 13" Pro, the screen is better (higher res). Price wise, the 256G option is extremely attractive IMO.

The only weak point of the current Air is the 4G ram limit, which for Trakotr & general use is completely enough, but is insufficient if you need to run Windows in Parallels/VMWare.

Besides the virtualization, the current Air is great machine for DJing and general laptop use.

Quote Originally Posted by loop View Post
    the 256G Air is the one most worthy. Compared to the 13" Pro, the screen is better (higher res). Price wise, the 256G option is extremely attractive IMO.
    not cheap tho... the mbp is about 1100gbp while the air is 1450gbp. not sure i could justify that much extra, or afford it.

i presume the 4gb i5 mbp will have no issues running traktor? not interested in virtual windows sessions as i'll still have my current acer running win7 if i ever needed win apps. sorry for noob questions - just not seriously looked into getting a mac before
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by loop View Post

The only weak point of the current Air is the 4G ram limit, which for Trakotr & general use is completely enough, but is insufficient if you need to run Windows in Parallels/VMWare.

Besides the virtualization, the current Air is great machine for DJing and general laptop use.
    the air's ram is upgradable. but the upgrade must be perform by an apple certified technician and the record of said upgrade must be sent to apple.

the techs at my work do this all the time.
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Guru

how much is the usual charge for such a hardcore upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    i presume the 4gb i5 mbp will have no issues running traktor?
    Not at all.
    Gear: late 2011 13" i7 256GB Macbook Air, Numark NS7, 2x Technics SL-1200MK2, Dateq XTC, 2x M-Audio CX8
    Check my Souncloud for livesets: http://soundcloud.com/dj-subliminal

Tech Guru

the MBP has higher performance CPUs than the Air. The Air is using Ultra Low Voltage (ULV) CPUs, which are decent, but a bit lower performance than the ones they put on MBPs

See for yourself: http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/...chmarks/#64bit

The reports state that the i7@1.8 Air is just a bit slower than the i5@2.3 MBP (same generation). These are synthetic tests, and may not reflect the actual user expirience. For sure, the SSDs in the Air will give you much better user expirience than on the MBP with a spinning platter.

Dude, I'm running Traktor perfectly on a 2.2G Core2Duo later 2009 MBP 13" w/ 4G ram. the base 13" last gen is an amazing computer. Leave all your worries behind.

my MBP is a 15" 2.8ghz C2D with 8g ram, 3 years old and still going strong. I use it for traktor, logic, ableton, VST's, SC2 and web browsing. I considered selling it and getting the current i7 13" but i just like the screen size i have now too much. If i start gigging every weekend again though, ill go and buy a 13".

Im waiting for the new mac pros to be announced and also to see if apple will release a thunderbolt upgrade kit for the older mac pros
    DJ'n since 02', Performing since 06', CD's - Timecode - Full Digital - Digital and External Hardware Experience

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by C.Lukas1 View Post

Probably less of an issue than you would think;

http://www.belkin.com/pressroom/rele...lt_010812.html

You could run 3 usb 2.0 midis= devices of on Air and bring music on from an external ssd over the thunderbolt port.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast