Legal Disc Jockey What?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Legal Disc Jockey What?

So I recently found out that everything I purchase from itunes is not legal for me to spin, which I find very stupid. I don't do the torrent thing or copy music from others. I even saved my receipts in case of an issue with the law. Now I also hear from people and some internet sources that I need some type of license and need to pay a monthly fee to even play legal sources(beatport, DJCity, and what not). Can anybody confirm this? If true, what do I need to do to be a completely "legal DJ"?

I also found this.

Specific DMCA Requirements

The Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA) governs certain requirements and rules with which persons transmitting digital media must comply. These are the requirements that you must follow in order to be DMCA compliant.

No requests can be played within 60 minutes of receiving the request.
    No more than 1 song by any specific artist, album, or box set may be played for each 1 hour period of your show and no more than 2 songs may be played back to back in a 2hr show.
    Music playlists for your show may not be posted anywhere prior to the airing of your show
    No bootleg concert audio may be played during your show.
    All music played must have proper ID3 tagging (artist, album, song title) and this information must be passed to the listeners with your streams.

This seems like it's for radio DJs but WTF?

If I have a Small Business License and obtain music from legal sources, is this good enough?
    Last edited by Chris Macom; 01-24-2012 at 10:03 PM.

where did you get that from? i dont see it on the wiki or the pdf file of the 1998 document...

Tech Mentor

I dabbled in this in one of my music classes at NCSU. If you're playing out at a nightclub/venue, it is the job of the venue to have permits that allow you to play copyrighted music. So I think you're all good, I believe.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Tech Mentor

Okay but DJing songs downloaded from itunes is not legal correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Macom View Post
    Okay but DJing songs downloaded from itunes is not legal correct?
    Dude don't worry about it, seriously.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Dude don't worry about it, seriously.
    I know but this is the only thing I do for money nowadays, so I just wanna make sure I don't get sued for fees that would take me a lifetime to repay.

I know but this is the only thing I do for money nowadays, so I just wanna make sure I don't get sued for fees that would take me a lifetime to repay.
    Considering all major DJ software has itunes library integration I really doubt there is an issue.

Also, let's say if you were playing all pirated music at a gig how would anyone even know?

Same thing for itunes music, there are no copyright police forces shaking down DJs and doing computer forensics to determine if music is pirated or in your case not purchased from itunes. At least not yet anyways.

Tech Guru

You won't get sued. It's not like it used to be where they want to make an example out of some kids who downloaded a few songs from Napster. Pay for your music and you're fine.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Same thing for itunes music, there are no copyright police forces shaking down DJs and doing computer forensics to determine if music is pirated or in your case not purchased from itunes. At least not yet anyways.
    And pretty soon we'll be spinning subscription cloud-based tunes and it will be all be a moot point.

Tech Mentor

Okay cool. Thanks for the replies. I'm calming down and a little less mad now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast