Take on DVS caution rant enclosed
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Take on DVS caution rant enclosed

When I started djing it was vinyl DVS did not even exist cdjs did not even look how they look now. These days I rock controllers I am fine with this. What I don't understand is why use DVS I see alot of people post about how they needed the feel of vinyl and sold their (insert high priced controller) for techs mixer audio 6 and scratch pro.. This seams a oxy moron if I were to switch back to vinyl there definitely wouldn't be a laptop in my setup. It'd be crates of vinyl and back to getting ass raped for vinyl.

Just seems silly to sell off a high end controller only to replace your setup with turntables and mixer and laptop. I mean if your a turtablists then aight fair but and the huge kicker is you probably wouldn't of bought a controller in the first place.

I mixed vinyl for 5 years before going to straight digital. The best thing about vinyl is being able to physically nudge and drop the vinyl but most high end controllers can do this hell my total control I nudge on only thing it can't do is hold to drop which my ns6 will resolve the only thing I truly miss.

So for tl;dr DVS in my eyes is not the same as vinyl djing. Vinyl djing means records not timecode.

Sorry any one feel where I'm coming from?

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone

Tech Mentor

I went from a controller to DVS. I still have my VCI - 100, and may one day go back to it or maybe a 4 channel controller. Right now I'm happy to have it as a back up if needed, though I feel more comfortable with my X1 as a controller.

I went to DVS and tables cause I wanted to learn how to scratch. I'm not too good right now but feel I am slowly progressing some. Besides the NS6, I don't know of any controllers that come to mind with jog wheels bigger then 5 inches. And the NS6 was aimed at Serato when it first came out as far as I remember. And I'm a happy Traktor user so far.

Some days I actually do think about going back to a controller - usually the days that I get frustrated and wonder if I am progressing as fast as I should be.

I miss being able to see the wave of the track on the vinyl... and going to the record store every week, can't say I'd ever consider using the needle drop on a controller, to me it seems smarter to use the mouse and drop the track exactly where I want it. I would map it for temporary effects like a beat roll... to me that would be a much better use
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Mentor

Having he 'feel' and appearance of vinyl + the convenience and cost savings of digital media is the best of both worlds for a lot of people.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

You were having a hard time on the toilet when you wrote this weren't you :P

But I see your point, I even eat my words about CDJ's when they first came on the scene many many djs were just like "Fuck that!" and it took until the 500s that any really big names started using them (alongside techs and generally for promo's or own productions).

I remember when I saw a few residents starting to rip their own vinyl onto CD's (they wouldn't touch the old rack mounts, but CDJ's were different) and the convenience factor penny dropped with me (but I still wouldn't touch CD's).

Its only since software caught my eye about 10 years back that I really began to understand that both CD's AND software DJ'ing was really going to be the way of the future (obviously CD's first).

As you said and I agree, I can understand a scratch DJ wanting a DVS system, it stands to reason, the art is about scratching on turntables (primarily). But for plain ol' four to the floor house/techno/trance etc .. there really is not much point that I can see in using DVS apart from:

1. The "looks" of pure awe from the kiddies
    2. Being a pre-madonna (because you INSIST on needing technics in the already cramped booth that 10 other guys have to use the same night)
    3. Being retro and nostalgic for the sake of it.
    4. You play real vinyl as well on a regular basis.

Why do all of the arguments on this topic focus on exclusivity?

I have an S4, X1, Audio4 & 1200s. And I love having option to choose whatever I feel like.

Why limit yourself when you don't have to?

Quote Originally Posted by Paka Ono View Post
    Why do all of the arguments on this topic focus on exclusivity?

I have an S4, X1, Audio4 & 1200s. And I love having option to choose whatever I feel like.

Why limit yourself when you don't have to?
    This.

I have a mixer, an X1, an A10, Technics, a Korg NanoKONTROL and and a VCI-100, and I'd say I use them all on a regular basis (possibly except the VCI-100).
    i´ll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    There really is not much point that I can see in using DVS apart from:

1. The "looks" of pure awe from the kiddies
    2. Being a pre-madonna (because you INSIST on needing technics in the already cramped booth that 10 other guys have to use the same night)
    3. Being retro and nostalgic for the sake of it.
    4. You play real vinyl as well on a regular basis.
    There is many reasons to use DVS apart from the reasons you came up with. I use it simply because there are a lot of MP3 releases i can't get on vinyl and i still enjoy the feel. I don't really care about looking at vinyl and seeing where the track is exactly, if i want that i will play real vinyl...

I like to combine the vinyl feel with the CDJ aid (Track time elapsed and remaining) hence why i use DVS. No other reason.

As for the "looks" i don't need "looks" as a DJ, i DJ because i enjoy it, not for an image.
    Your point number 2 is quite interesting as recently i have came accross various DJ's that have been bitching to the promoter because the Technics are taking up too much room. It is interesting because the DJ was saying 'There is only 1 DJ using the TT's so why should they stay set up when there are 5 DJ's playing.' I found it interesting because he was the only guy using a controller but expected the only guy using Techs to unhook them..

I'm retro and nostalgic because i enjoy my older music and putting it to use.

I also play a lot of normal vinyl during my DVS sets.

I know it wasn't aimed at the OP but i thought it would cover parts of the OP's rant.

P.S. I'm all for the future as digital, but just hate bashing/beating a dead horse.

Tech Mentor

I'm a bit insecure right now, so any help would be greatly appreciated...

As you can see by my postcount I'm pretty new to this forum myself. Recently I see a lot of Newbies opening threads regarding "their take on the whole controller vs. dvs vs. cdjs vs. vinyl thing". I was wondering if this was mandatory for new members?

Because - if there wasn't anybody holding a gun to your head forcing you to open threads like this it would be TOTALLY POINTLESS!

Do you have anything to add to this discussion (which has been going on for ages now) that has not been said yet? - probably not

Does any of you find himself in a position that would allow him to judge decisions made by others based on what they LIKE? - most definetely not!

I can see where you guys are coming from but sadly I don't know where you're going besides places so many people have allready been.

So please, if you don't have anything new to bring to the table: spare us your wisdom.

Do whatever you want to do but stop ranting about things that will not change and thus should not be cared about. Thank you.

PS: @ Deevey: it's "prima donna"... [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primadonna"]Prima donna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lucidstrings View Post
    When I started djing it was vinyl DVS did not even exist cdjs did not even look how they look now. These days I rock controllers I am fine with this.
    Yeah me to. Exact same lineage to my DJing history.

I mean if your a turtablists then aight fair
    Turntables arent just for turntabalists for god sake. If your a house DJ and you love the feel of vinyl under your fingers when you mix then thats valid.

So for tl;dr DVS in my eyes is not the same as vinyl djing. Vinyl djing means records not timecode.
    No, no it doesnt not at all. DVS has saved me about £80 a week in vinyl purchases.
    And it means i can bring all bells and whistles of Traktor into my vinyl set.
    Welcome to the 21st Century.

Sorry any one feel where I'm coming from?
    No, really not at all.

The reason why people use DVS is dead simple and can be summed up in 2 words:
    TACTILE FEEL

???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast