Itch- Some real competition? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dookiex View Post
    I doubt that there is any real good solution around the lag in this instance because from what I can tell, it's basically firing off a sequence of button input but it's essentially doing the same series of actions in the Traktor software itself as opposed to Itch where that functionality is actually baked in at the application level. Basically, unless Traktor actually has the functionality baked it, it's never going to perform perfectly like the slicer mode does in Itch (with the Twitch hardware of course, seeing how software functions are turned on or off in Itch depending on what controller it recognizes is connected, though I guess if one was to go the length of reverse engineering Twitch and Itch, theoretically you can jury rig a non-Twitch controller to have access to the slicer function).
    traktor doesn't even need all that much extra to be able to have slicerish goodness builtin. a single command that can jump to a cuepoint + a certain number of beats would be cool, else traktor assumes we didn't really mean to send those commands in so close together. also needs to be able to jump 3 beats without needing to stack 1+2 for that.

thats really all it needs for the actual slicing, with a loop enabled.

something extra would be needed to help animate the pads, to avoid having to use something like midimasher. some thing kind of like the beatphase but counts on the beat as opposed to cycling within the beat.

wouldn't take much anyway - to at least give us a few extra mapping controls.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by zestoi View Post
    traktor doesn't even need all that much extra to be able to have slicerish goodness builtin. a single command that can jump to a cuepoint + a certain number of beats would be cool, else traktor assumes we didn't really mean to send those commands in so close together. also needs to be able to jump 3 beats without needing to stack 1+2 for that.

thats really all it needs for the actual slicing, with a loop enabled.

something extra would be needed to help animate the pads, to avoid having to use something like midimasher. some thing kind of like the beatphase but counts on the beat as opposed to cycling within the beat.

wouldn't take much anyway - to at least give us a few extra mapping controls.
    The thing is, the functionality still needs to be available in Traktor at the application level (let that be the timing of accepting command inputs or whatever else). I don't actually know how the code in the Traktor application looks like so it might quite possibly be that even simple changes to the application in the ways you've suggested might actually end up being a very big ordeal. Remember, wanting the application to natively behave in a certain way is completely different from programming controller input strings that you store and fire off from the firmware/memory of a controller.

For all we know, Traktor could have been built via some arcane Frankensteined programming language or what not. Maybe the way it was written was completely inflexible if one wished to change aspects of the application. Will probably never know for sure but what is certain is that it's probably much easier to just have stored controller input strings than it is to go and alter the application code.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jprime View Post
    Itch has always been up there. I prefer it over Traktor personally.
    Same here. I got so tired of midi mapping and "flexibility". I felt more like a computer programer than a DJ with Traktor. There are very subtle things that are far superior in Serato (SSL and Itch) that I preferred over Traktor, library management being one of the biggest ones. Never having to deal with the "collection" again, and having a prepare screen. Also flexible beat grids is awesome in Itch and although the effects are limited in Itch they post fader which is a huge plus. I prefer to use the effects on a DJM 800/900 over any software regardless.
    SSL - DJM 800 - Technic 1200's - X1 - ITCH - NS6 - VCI-300

Tech Mentor

TL;DR but...

Traktor is pretty much the only really good heavy duty DJ software that allows for extensive customization and across the board compatibility with custom hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    Traktor is pretty much the only really good heavy duty DJ software
    To say traktor is on the only good heavy duty s/w is a real closed minded statement

Serious? Context much?

Aside, agree with dookiex. There isn't even a DAW that has close to the same functionality that Traktor has for MIDI (before I get misquoted).

Be nice if Ableton provided that sort of flexibility for Live in a 8.x update.

*dreams*

The thing is, the functionality still needs to be available in Traktor at the application level (let that be the timing of accepting command inputs or whatever else). I don't actually know how the code in the Traktor application looks like so it might quite possibly be that even simple changes to the application in the ways you've suggested might actually end up being a very big ordeal. Remember, wanting the application to natively behave in a certain way is completely different from programming controller input strings that you store and fire off from the firmware/memory of a controller.
    true, but this isn't like most everyone wanting the controller manager to be improved where maybe it really will take a whole redesign to achieve it.

* i don't think a beatjump +/-3 and the other odd numbers should be too hard, tho some internal representation might have to be rejigged to allow those to be added

* a control that combines a cuejump + a beatjump can't be too hard? (well i'd hope not)

* adding an extra out should be the easiest (for pads animation) since they already have the % thru the track 'out' as well as the beatphase.

this would basically enable slicer functionality internally in traktor anyway - so it's not that it needs to be a whole new area of functionality but just some additional 'ins' and 'outs'

the next version of midimasher (hopefully released today) will work round the timing issues anyway using the method i described, so personally i won't be too worried after that - but will ofc update my code if they add *anything* internally that would help with a slicer implementation

as i said, i didn't even consider traktor adding any internally supported slicer-goodness before u mentioned it, but it would make them very popular if they did

if itch can do it and so can vdj (via it's own internal scripting) then traktor is behind the curve on this one atm
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Banned

hi

Our original ABBEY ROAD instruments gave you the DRUMS, now we're giving you the DRUMMER: The ABBEY ROAD DRUMMER Series puts dynamic, natural drum tracks at your fingertips. With over 1,000 grooves played live by top session drummers, a detailed Mixer Section and class-A studio effects, each instrument is a unique, high-end drum studio.

I see in Itch/Twitch you can use the touchstrips to refine your slices in slicer mode too

Win.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Johbremat View Post
    TL;DR but...

Serious? Context much?

Aside, agree with dookiex. There isn't even a DAW that has close to the same functionality that Traktor has for MIDI (before I get misquoted).

Be nice if Ableton provided that sort of flexibility for Live in a 8.x update.

*dreams*

ok here we go,
    1. serato midi isnt limited, its 75 - 80% same as Traktor - w/out Midiout.
    2. SL-Video - both SSL & itch
    3. Bridge - it works, and its awesome
    4. Crosscompatiable music library from SSL - ITCH - Intro
    5. 3 models, SSL, ITCH, & Intro, no T2 DUO, T2 PRO, TS DUO, TSPro, TS4,etc

I was the biggest NI user on the Westcoast with Traktor & Maschine. But I lost faith in the s/w after traktor 3. At the end I say rock what you got, but dont bust a JesC and talk smack about another s/w or h/w until you use both in the bedroom, house party & clubs.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JesC View Post
    ...[D]on't...talk smack about another s/w or h/w until you use both in the bedroom, house party & clubs.
    I've nothing to worry about then.

But DUDE, farkin' CONTEXT. Your rebuttle is all sorts of wrong given the content being addressed.

That, or maybe being a troll is a new requisite for mods...

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Johbremat View Post
    That, or maybe being a troll is a new requisite for mods...
    wow, ive called everything but a troll online.
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast