Matching speakers with amps.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Matching speakers with amps.

I am looking to buy a setup for mobile DJ'ing for college partys and that sort of thing (nothing over 200-300 people.)

What I am considering buying is a pair of Peavey PV 215 Dual 15" Cabs powered by a QSC GX7 and a Peavey PV 118D Powered Sub for bottom end.

I realize this is probably overkill but I like BIG sound for when I need it.

The question I have is will these cabs and amp be compatible? According to the specs the cabs are 4Ohm and the amp is either 8 or 4 Ohm. Is there a specific way to wire this setup or how do I get the amp to run at 4Ohms? Also, any advice on this setup in regards to power(watts) would be appreciated. I am assuming this combo will work
    Amp:1000w/channel@4Ohms
    Cabs:1400w peak@4Ohms

THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP! MUCH APPRECIATED!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...01388000000000
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...70032000000000
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...76322000000000

Those will match just fine but the frequency response spec on the Peavey's is not great. I haven't heard them so take what I say with a grain of salt. You have any way to hear the combo before buying? Or are you doing an all online purchase?
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Student

Unfortunately it would be probably a six hour drive or better to be able to hear these what would you consider a good frequency range?

Don't get me wrong, this combo will work just fine. Maybe I'm more of an audiophile/audio snob. I'm always partial to Meyer's, Turbosound & Funktion One or even custom systems that're tuned right for the space.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Mentor

Having experience with everything except the amp, here's my two cents:

I have the GX5, the little brother to the GX7. Until seeing the link, I didn't even know they had made another one.

The 700W RMS rating of the 215s is kinda BS, you're looking at around a 3-500W actual RMS. I pumped 500W with my GX5 into these things and it fried one of em. This also was without using a subwoofer, so it's possible the bass might have been too much (side note: the bass without a sub is pretty depressing, given twin 15s). If you set your crossover frequencies correctly and don't push any sub-bass into the 215s, it should give you a decent sound
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Tech Student

Sunshine, were u pushing two of these 215s with one GX5? Also, how would you set the crossover frequencies? A separate processor I am assuming or would something like a mixer work? Thanks for the reply.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Kringstad View Post
    Sunshine, were u pushing two of these 215s with one GX5? Also, how would you set the crossover frequencies? A separate processor I am assuming or would something like a mixer work? Thanks for the reply.
    Yes, I was running two of them with no subwoofer in full-range mode on the amplifier. I had the bass up a little too high I guess, and I fried the woofer in one of em. At 17 years old, it was an expensive mistake

Here's how I would set em up: Your amp has a built in crossover set at 100Hz, which should be ideal. Set the amplifier to LF/HF mode, where 1 channel is for the subwoofer, and the other is for the mids/highs. Plug one of the PV215s into the amplifier, then plug the other into the speaker being amplified. Plug the PV118 into the LF channel, and away you go. It will look like this:

PV118---------QSC GX7-------PV215-------PV215
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

I wouldn't recommend that. It's called wiring speakers in parallel and will drop your Ohm rating to 2 Ohm's Which neither the Amp nor the speakers are rated for.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    I wouldn't recommend that. It's called wiring speakers in parallel and will drop your Ohm rating to 2 Ohm's Which neither the Amp nor the speakers are rated for.
    Crap, you're right; forgot about that silly thing called impedance

Have you considered an active subwoofer with two passive speakers? Completely negates the need for an amplifier at that point, as with certain subwoofers you can power your tops off of it, and the sub's crossover distributes the frequencies for you. Lot less stuff to haul around as well. I think the B-52 Matrix system or whatever is like this.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Turbosound & Funktion One
    can someone get me some of these please!
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast