Another Needle Question
    Tech Mentor

Question Another Needle Question

hey, ive been scrounging the forums here, and haven't found what im looking for... its ANOTHER question about needles.

ok... here we go:

i want to convert these new turntables i bought into a dvs system, to learn to beatmatch, and scratch without burning up good vinyls. im looking to use traktor for now, because i can use it at my friends house when we practice. we are going to tag team dj. but neither of us know what kind of needles we REALLY need to use traktors timecode vinyl. i want to know what needles perform best, and cost less than a trillion dollars a pair. i wont be playing regular vinyl most likely.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Shure-Standard-Cartridge-Pre-Mounted-Phono/dp/B0064WHUVA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1327724316&sr=8-7"]Amazon.com: Shure M447 Standard DJ Cartridge Pre-Mounted Standard Phono Cartridge: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41FYKz78u4L.@@AMEPARAM@@41FYKz78u4L[/ame]

This is everything you need at a more than reasonable price.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Tech Mentor

Smitten, you are like my forum wizzard. always answerin what i need! thanks for the quick response!

and other suggestions from people are welcome too. i like having options.

There are other more detailed threads on this worth checking. Your requirements around mixing are covered by most needles. It's the scratching requirement which leads me to recommending these. I had Ortofons and Stantons before but don't see myself switching from these any time soon. Check out a bunch of scratch videos and you'll see them left, right and center.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

I grabbed 6 Shure M35x for only 60 bucks from GC last year.
    They are great! I'm no stylus aficionado, but they work very well for mixing, and some scratching (I'm no pro by any means!) Haven't had one skip on me yet!

They track timecode very well, too. I jump between Traktor Scratch and my collection of vinyls and notice no difference in tracking

Tech Mentor

those look a bit promising... especially for that price. how much scratching do you do?

About an hour or two when I get the desire to scratch. The only thing that throws me off a little is the desk I put my tables on wobbles so I have to sometimes use a little touch, but I've used them elsewhere and they are definitely solid.

Probably a little bit more record wear than the 44-7, but if you're using Timecode Vinyls it doesn't really matter as they're easily replaced. They are absolutely tops for mixing as well. I was in the same boat and the 44-7 was way too expensive for what's really a glorified hobby for me (props to those gigging and earning money!)

Of course if you don't like them I'll always take em off your hands for a good price

Tech Mentor

for the purpose of TC vinyl playback, the most important thing is to go for spherical styli.

Tech Mentor

Default thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rgtb View Post
    for the purpose of TC vinyl playback, the most important thing is to go for spherical styli.
    Thanks, that helps clear up alot. i was wondering which was best for timecode!

Tech Convert

I just got a pair of shure sc35c's yesterday from amazon for 35 each! That's probably the best price you're gonna find without drying your wallet. And after some digging around the internet, turns out they have almost the exact same sound and tracking quality of the M447's, but they wear out the vinyl faster as they are a bit heavier (I'm using timecoded vinyl as well so thats not a big deal)