Residency at my high school library
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Residency at my high school library

Alright now that i got you here...

So something got messed up in my high school schedule and I have to spend 3 hours in the library so this definitely gives me time to get some work done there. I have my laptop, about to get sennheiser hd-25s but my vci100, despite being very portable, is wayyy too much hardware for just chillin in the library practicing.

So I what I was thinking was an lpd8 since it's really small and I won't look like a tool. Ideally I would want control of cue points 1-8 for all 4 decks, something to help with looping, filter knobs, and something for just quick effects.

My idea is mapping my computer keyboard for cue's 1-8, using the 1,Q,A,Z rows, assigning a few buttons to toggle effects on & off (I only use reverb and delay), something for play/pause and maybe sync, then set up the lpd8 to handle looping controls and filters.

Does this seem like a logical approach? Is there some knob/button I'm missing? I would love to have a crossfade/vol. fade but then that's basically a controller and I can do with just xfading/adjusting volume with my mouse.

Should I go after this or would I just look like a tool? I would do homework but I only get so much of it and without any cell service/internet/twitter, there's not much else I can occupy myself with.

P.S. does the lpd8 make clicky noises when you press the pads?

Tech Mentor

DJing in a library is a waste of time. Get ableton and learn to produce. Grab a nanokontrol or two to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by CryderSteez View Post
    DJing in a library is a waste of time. Get ableton and learn to produce. Grab a nanokontrol or two to go with it.
    +1

Tech Mentor

rcs you sound like me in high school, when I'd bring a portable guitar amp and just jam out on my electric during lunch hour good times, good times...
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Quote Originally Posted by dj sunshine View Post
    i'd bring a portable guitar amp and just jam out on my electric during lunch hour
    We would've gotten along nicely.

On a side note I had downloaded a pirated version of ableton 7 on a computer in my 4th period government class back in highschool. That was an interesting semester Fortunately i'm now a proud owner of live 8.
    Last edited by BlackJesus; 01-29-2012 at 04:29 AM.

Tech Guru

or buy Maschine and make beaatttsss allll ddddaaaayyyy
    Hardware: Akai Max49, Maschine, Equator D5 monitors, Saffire Pro 14
    Software: Logic, Maschine
    My Neighbors Listen to House Music.. Because They Have To.

Quote Originally Posted by rcs1113 View Post
    P.S. does the lpd8 make clicky noises when you press the pads?
    no clicky noises as the pads don't actually press in - being drum pads and all.

i vote for doing some music production as the others suggest tho... +1 for nanokontrol
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Mentor

Hahaha thanks guys

Hmm, I really want to make nice sounding mashups so ableton would definitely be key there but looking at pictures of the interface on youtube and google it just seems like a very daunting task; I wouldn't know where to even start as there is so much to do.

But it seems like music production would probably be the best way for me to get my name around given I do a mashup with some popular rap track. Which... (begin rant)

...is the problem with my location/demographic. I don't enjoy mixing rap nor do I have enough knowledge to spit out tunes that people really like but maybe have never heard of. Hopefully that changes when I go to the university next year, because I really enjoy mixing progressive house, electro and even moombahton (though it's more difficult to mix). Anyone who is around the high school/college age have this trouble? Sorry for the rant.

But an lpd8 + nano kontrol would seem like a pretty sick setup given it'd be less than $70. Is there a really nice pdf/series of videos that you guys use or know of out there that outlines/tutorials ableton?

Tech Mentor

Yeah ableton is stupidly complex and powerful but there's a tutorial out there for almost anything you're trying to do, all it takes is time which is something you have.

As far as the challange of local musical tastes, your first assignment should be to make some remixes and mashups that combine what other people know and like with what you think is fresh. Do that successfully and you WILL get noticed.

Take as much time as you can to learn ableton while you can. Once you hit college, chances are you won't have a lot of time to be doing hobbies.
    alone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast