Looks like the Midifighter has some competition.
    Tech Wizard

Default Looks like the Midifighter has some competition.

This is a USB controlled home arcade-quality joystick and pushbutton combo. If someone could make a midi map for this, this would be a fantastic controller.

http://www.xgaming.com/store/arcade-...dual-joystick/

Quote Originally Posted by Zalgo View Post
    This is a USB controlled home arcade-quality joystick and pushbutton combo. If someone could make a midi map for this, this would be a fantastic controller.

not really competition for the midifighter since it was stuff like this that was the inspiration for the midifighter in the first place

i love my midifighter due to it's compact size and everything that can be done with the builtin firmware.

having said that u can take an arcade controller like that one and use some middleware software like glovepie or midimasher (when i release my hid code) to convert the hid to midi and add in whatever logic u need.

i'm definately not getting rid of my midifighter any time soon tho - and the classic ones can be bought quite cheaply second hand.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Quote Originally Posted by kevz718 View Post
    Whats different about this joystick vs all the oldskool joysticks that have been out for years?

Does it send midi or something?
    nothing and nope

Hey zestoi.. Ive been wondering about these middleman softwares lately.. I dont have much programming skill.. Is theres something i can look into to learn about getting midi messages sent to hid devices. Im particularly interested in lcd screen messages.. Ive heard glovepie, midimasher, arduino, freeduino, etc but im confused.. What might be easiest one for me to start messing with to learn more?
    arduino etc is for building custom devices. glovepie can translate between hid and midi, i have some hid code for midimasher tho still geared towards midi translation.

i've never tried to send data to a hid device via glovepie (or my own code) and not sure it has that functionality as is geared around input devices.

the lib i'm using in midimasher is hidapi so might be a good starting point http://www.signal11.us/oss/hidapi/

edit: midimasher can ofc receive/decode midi messages and if i gave lua (scripting language) access to the hidapi code in midimasher then you should be able to call that to send messages to a hid lcd display device. otherwise you could bolt something like the RtMidi lib and libapi and create a custom app. some midimasher lua scripting would probably be simpler tho. the hid format is vendor/devicetype specific - you have any docs on the screen you want to interface with?
    Last edited by zestoi; 01-29-2012 at 03:13 PM.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

Thnx for this.. Im gonna check it out

Basically, what i have in my head is this:
    - i take traktor ouput like a) trackend warning b) phase meter and port them to someplace on my pc (ive managed to get them onto a lemur template and some other midi apps)
    - then this 'mystical app' that i have in mind would read that data and pipe it out to an lcd screen that is attached to my mouse.
    cool - sounds interestng. the lcd screen would be 'attached' to your mouse tho?

So not really a doc to interface with but maybe im not understanding what a doc is...

Over last year, ive tried to dabble in understanding midi and how things work with its data so i seem to always be looking for little tasks like this that i can use as learning excercises..
    by 'doc' i just meant the specification for the specific lcd screen u were going to use - that would define some kind of comms protocol for how to get data displayed on it etc.

Whats different about this joystick vs all the oldskool joysticks that have been out for years?

Does it send midi or something?
    i was thinking the same thing. I mean that thing is bigger then some controller out in the market. how on earth could that be much more useful?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Zalgo View Post

First off, the parts are not great on those, it's like a poor man's Hori RAP. Secondly, that thing is the size of a Rane 57 plus a 1200 (might actually be closer to a 57 and TWO 1200s) so, apart from your bedroom, where the heck are you going to able to plop that thing down and play a set at?