Let's talk USB hubs - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Didn't see that it was 2xAudio 2's ..

So thats 3 soundcards in total once you include the RMX ....

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Didn't see that it was 2xAudio 2's ..

So thats 3 soundcards in total once you include the RMX ....

I don't. As I said:

2 x SC2000
    2 x Audio 2 soundcard
    1 x NOX606 or similar (no power needed but return channel for recording mixes)
    maybe lpd8 or something
    The intention is to have 4 channels to the NOX606 plus 1 return channel via USB on the 606.

Get a decent 4 channel soundcard and dont scrimp on money buying 2 soundcards that will just end up causing you to spend even more money down the line.
    This is not at all an argument. Why is a 2 channel soundcard inferior to a 4 channel soundcard? Why would they produce one with a lower quality sound signal?

I would rather just get a USB hub that works instead of getting a more expensive soundcard that offers me no other benefits (all I need are 4 stereo output channels), hence me asking about it here.

Quote Originally Posted by dmsuperman View Post
    This is not at all an argument. Why is a 2 channel soundcard inferior to a 4 channel soundcard?
    running 2 separate audio interfaces through a hub is going to give you latency problems at the least. It's strongly recommended by us and all interface manufacturers that you plug them directly into the computer. Get a good quality powered hub, ideally multi-TT, and a 4 channel audio interface which you plug into your other USB port.

We're not trying to make you spend more than you need to, we just know from experience that you're more than likely to have latency issues with your suggested setup.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

This is not at all an argument.
    Dude im not arguing with you.
    You are not explaining what you need 2 soundcards for properly.

Why is a 2 channel soundcard inferior to a 4 channel soundcard? Why would they produce one with a lower quality sound signal?
    It isn't. I have an Audio 2 and its awesome.

The point you are missing is that using 2 soundcards is stupid if you can simply use one.

I would rather just get a USB hub that works instead of getting a more expensive soundcard that offers me no other benefits (all I need are 4 stereo output channels), hence me asking about it here.
    Despite thinking that you are not seeing the wood for the trees let me advise you that Native Instruments recommend the: D-Link 4-Port Hub DUB-H4

...but hey, what do i know

You are not explaining what you need 2 soundcards for properly.
    Because they don't make a unit in that price range which does it in one soundcard without trying to stuff a ton of other unnecessary features in and jack the price up. If you have one I will gladly hear your suggestion, but otherwise this is the only solution on the market. I'm not looking to pay $200 extra to gain exactly zero usability :-/

The point you are missing is that using 2 soundcards is stupid if you can simply use one.
    Which again, isn't an argument. (or a viewpoint. Or a stance. Or whichever word makes you feel happy about it.) Do you have an actual reason to not using 2 soundcards? Why would their be latency? USB can handle 8 channels of uncompressed audio no problem. Why would it be different just because the signal is sent through one port vs another? Have you actually used two of the same soundcard?

And the reason I've posted a forum thread rather than just google it is because I don't just want a business' recommendation. I want the word of somebody who has actually done it so I can be sure that I'm not just being sold something that doesn't actually resolve the issue.

The intention is to have 4 channels to the NOX606 plus 1 return channel via USB on the 606.
    Sorry missed that ....But:

Thats still 3 sound cards The Nox IS a sound card.

As mentioned latency + stability issues most likely will arise no matter what hub is in place.

Ideally you should have a sound card that provides 4xstereo outputs + 1 x stereo input (you don't need the Nox USB then)

Audio 8 or similar is really Warranted to maximize your setup size and reliability.

USB 2.0 yes it can handle 480mbps per USB port MAXIMUM, thats dependent on a lot of factors.

When you add a hub into the equation that 480 maximum is split between the 4 or 5 devices you are connecting.

Its been shown before that the theoretical max USB speed is rarely achievable on devices (almost half in some cases) depending on the chipset and the devices in use, power consumptiuon etc.

http://usb-hub-review.toptenreviews....r-demands.html
    Last edited by deevey; 01-31-2012 at 03:32 PM.

What on earth is everyone going on about? There is zero reason why you can't use 2 separate soundcards together, it makes ZERO difference providing you have a software system (such as core audio or ASIO4ALL) that allows you to combine sound cards. Even with all the channels on the audio 2 blazing that's half the amount of data as with the audio 8 and no difference in power since the hub is powered (just like the audio10 is). Hell often your computer will see each input/output of your soundcard as an individual soundcard...

Latency with the NOX isn't an issues either since recording DOES NOT require real time priority. You whack the buffer AS LARGE AS POSSIBLE in order to reduce strain on your system. You don't combine it with other cards as there is no reason to.

There's no reason to buy the audio 10 here. You're paying an insane amount of extra money for some inputs that won't get used. The idea solution is either one card with 4 stereo outputs or multiple cards that add up to 4 stereo outputs.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

such as core audio or ASIO4ALL
    Middleware always decreases reliability and stability sure there's no need for an audio 10, but an 8/2 sound card would certainly make much more sense in the long term.

For example:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Saffire-Firewire-Audio-Interface/dp/B0009WAXX8/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1328096286&sr=8-24"]Amazon.com: Focusrite Saffire 4 In/10 Out Firewire Audio Interface: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412g%2BZp1SZL.@@AMEPARAM@@412g%2BZp1SZL[/ame]

3 separate sound cards + 2 x Powered midi controllers on a single hub is just asking for trouble IMHO.

At least I'd look at getting at least your non-critical stuff e.g midi controllers/recording card though one powered hub and the playing sound cards on a separate USB port altogether (that should not need to be powered though).

Tell you what OP, you've been recommended a fair few hubs now, D-Link 4-Port Hub DUB-H4 being the one that NI recommends (You did say that didn't you Karlos? )

Just go ahead and do it. At the end of the day maybe you're right.

If it were me, and I was playing out in front of a crowd and being paid money for a gig, I'd want the most "reliable" option.

What's recommended and what many of us have found out through experience is running one sound-card directly from one one of the usb ports on your computer is the most stable. Then running all other midi devices through the hub.

So you have asked and the advice has been given. Not many of us will have experience of what you're doing because it's not really the "done thing".

But you've been recommended the best hub to get, so go ahead.

Pls report back and let us know how that works out for you.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    Tell you what OP, you've been recommended a fair few hubs now, D-Link 4-Port Hub DUB-H4 being the one that NI recommends (You did say that didn't you Karlos? )
    Yeah, i do recall saying that ... like twice.

Funny that people assume that the recommendation has to be a TA10..?

Any half decent 4 channel soundcard will work better and cause less hassle (and probably be cheaper) than running 2 x Audio2's via a 4 way hub.

A wise man once said "Don't ask if you can do it, ask if you should"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast