Let's talk USB hubs - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Middleware always decreases reliability and stability sure there's no need for an audio 10, but an 8/2 sound card would certainly make much more sense in the long term.
    That's not middleware- it's a different driver. Rather than use the (rather poor) official NI drivers you would just use a generic low latency driver that has the feature you are looking for.

I agree that a single soundcard with 8 outputs would be a better solution but off the top of my head I can't think of a good one. edit: not saying they don't exist, just that I've not looked into it lately.
    Last edited by MrPopinjay; 02-01-2012 at 07:23 AM.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

That's not middleware- it's a different driver.
    Using a piece of software to combine otherwise independent sound cards which normally would not be recognized together I would class as a middleware software solution.

The driver optimization side I have no issue with but for one card at a time, its the aggregation of the two (or more) cards.

Any half decent 4 channel soundcard will work better and cause less hassle (and probably be cheaper) than running 2 x Audio2's via a 4 way hub.
    http://www.djtechtools.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44655

Dude, the number of sound cards employed makes zero different in a DJ application. Zero.

What's recommended and what many of us have found out through experience is running one sound-card directly from one one of the usb ports on your computer is the most stable.
    Have you actually run two of the same soundcards?

Has anybody here ever actually run two of the same soundcards and had issues? Speaking about reliability is fantastic and I whole-heartedly agree, but misguided advice based on conjecture about how technology works rather than either A: an understanding of how it all works or B: direct personal experience that says otherwise.

I will gladly admit that I am mistaken if somebody can make this claim AND provide something to back it up. I'm sorry if I'm dubious toward random people on the internet about my hundreds of dollars of heard earned purchases. I don't just blindly follow advice because somebody thought it made sense.

I'm really not trying to be adverse. I'm just guarded with my purchases. All I'm asking for is a little logical courtesy, provide something to back up what you're saying.

You asked for advice and we've given it to you, take it or leave it.

From my personal experience, plugging an audio interface (let alone 2) into a hub as opposed to directly into a laptop has a noticeable detrimental effect on latency. Since you've already said your laptop isn't brilliant, the likelihood of this happening is greater.

Think about our motives here. Does it work to our advantage in the slightest to make you spend more money than necessary? No. We offer advice based on our experience and if you think you know better than feel free to go ahead with your plan, I wish you every success.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

He asked for advice regarding hubs, give the man advice regarding hubs.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Has anybody here ever actually run two of the same soundcards and had issues? Speaking about reliability is fantastic and I whole-heartedly agree, but misguided advice based on conjecture about how technology works rather than either A: an understanding of how it all works or B: direct personal experience that says otherwise.
    The more connections or software between your source and target the more points of failure there is .. simple really.

In the case of 3 sound cards + usb hub + 3 USB ports in use + Aggregation software thats 3 more points of failure than is necessary (or I'd be comfortable with).

The setup may work forever without hiccups, but the simple and elegant solution would be an 8in/2out sound card on one USB port, and your midi gear running though a hub on the other.

I don't just want a business' recommendation. I want the word of somebody who has actually done it so I can be sure that I'm not just being sold something that doesn't actually resolve the issue.
    No-one here is in the business of selling anything, but for the amount you seem to have spent in the past on hubs/cards etc to try to make your setup operate, the sensible solution would seem to be to look at working alternatives rather than bashing your head against a wall when something doesn't quite work as well as it should.

If you have a Express slot on your laptop (which you can add a FW card) or firewire port there's a few cards that would work very nicely and come in under your $200 budget.

And yes I have run 2 of the same sound cards on my old Netbook. Asio4All did crash on more than one occasion which in turn shut down Traktor.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    He asked for advice regarding hubs, give the man advice regarding hubs.
    Pretty sure that came and went on page 1.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

I always get confused when people reference page numbers, I always set the posts-per-page as high as possible. THIS IS PAGE ONE! :P

Quote Originally Posted by MrPopinjay View Post
    I always get confused when people reference page numbers, I always set the posts-per-page as high as possible. THIS IS PAGE ONE! :P
    Ok lol let's just say right at the beginning. D-Link Dub-H4.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast