Speaker/Subwoofer Question
    Tech Mentor

Default Speaker/Subwoofer Question

Hey guys, I recently ordered a Gemini 12" 300W active subwoofer to go along with my crappy Phonic S710 speakers/monitors, which are passive. The instructions say that I have to have my main outs going into the sub, then out of the Hi-Pass outputs on the sub, into the amplifier for the mains, and then finally to the main speakers. This is a grand recipe for a LOT of cables.

I have the Behringer DDM4000, which has a Subwoofer Out. Can I just run my A/B outs to the mains, and then a single cable from the Sub Out on my mixer to the sub, and then program the crossover frequencies in the mixer settings? Or would the first way (the way the instructions tell you) work the best?

Ideally if someone knows a way to power my mains off the sub, that would be the best, but no known way to do that yet
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Tech Mentor

I'd say your best bet is option B.

Run your subwoofer from the sub out on the DDM.

As your speakers are passive you'll have an amp to power them, so use the main outs from the DDM into your amp.

I actually used the same set up for a PA system running out of my DDM when I used to play at a small bar and it worked really well.
    http://soundcloud.com/jamesT

Macbook/Hercules Steel/Audio 2

Tech Mentor

I was thinking this as well. Hopefully will eliminate some potential routing problems as well if/when wondering why something isn't working right. Thanks
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Tech Convert

I'd second that proposal, use the DDM's crossover. Just remember to save your crossover settings when you get it working the way you want, or else they will get wiped when you turn off the mixer, which is a little bit annoying.