How are they doing these mash ups?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default How are they doing these mash ups?

Hey everyone, someone had a link to strictlyhits.com and I was in the party breaks section and this is the kind of stuff I want to be doing. My question is what are these guys using to create these mashups. This can't be done with just Traktor Pro can it? Or is it with something like ableton? I just ordered a NI Maschine so i'm hoping with that I can get really creative and make some unique mixes and mashups.

Here's an example:

http://www.strictlyhits.com/cubecart...productId=1406

Ableton.

2 Turntables, a battlemixer and a minidisc-recorder.
    That's how I started producing mashups.
    Later I started beatmatching the records first, then record the tracks in Cubase or Logic, cut them into pieces and rearrange beats and vocals.
    I know there is timestretch and all this stuff, but I never wanted to produce any mashup that I couldn't do live with two or more turntables.
    We often spin sets with 2 or 3 DJs on at least 4 Turntables, so that's why I still stay with Turntables and DVS for most of my shows.

There are many ways to create Mashups and Bastardpop-Bootlegs.
    Most of them are done in Ableton Live now and where done in Sony Acid in the early days.
    http://facebook.com/like.GRIZU
    Setup: MacBook 2.2 GHz 3 GB RAM OSX 10.6.4, Torq Conectiv Vinyl 1.5.3, 2x Technics MKII, Ecler HAK 320, PMC-05 Pro 4 Blk, PMC-06 Pro B, 2x Shure M44-7, VCI-300 & VFX-1 + ITCH, NI Maschine, Korg nano Pad & Kontrol, Audio8DJ & TS Pro, Novation Dicer

that track you gave as an example can be done with traktor quite easily using loops and a few effects. if you want to get into mashups using traktor only, i suggest trying out 4 deck mixing, where you also have buttons mapped out for loop lengths. but like others said, it can also be done with other programs

Tech Guru

Thanks for all the input guys. I have mad respect for anyone who was doing this before digital systems existed. As far as doing it with 4 deck mixing, it seems possible, but it sounds like these mixes use so many different samples so how would I handle constantly switching new samples into one of the 4 decks?

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys. I have mad respect for anyone who was doing this before digital systems existed. As far as doing it with 4 deck mixing, it seems possible, but it sounds like these mixes use so many different samples so how would I handle constantly switching new samples into one of the 4 decks?
    you use ableton to make your track in the studio first.

Tech Guru

I see. Ableton is a little intimidating to me, this would be possible by loading these samples into maschine and exporting as a track right?

Maschine + Ableton have the same concept. If you're familiar with Maschine, then use it!

Yeah, I use ableton for my mashups. The great effects, automation and skill of a DAW, with the ease and integration of a DJ program.
    Monika.mhz - I do things. Also stuff.
    -------------------
    Read the F.A.Q!
    Articles: Streamline Your Laptop for Djs(Windows)

Tech Guru

So when it comes to mash ups most of them are pre made and then played live? Obviously you could do some quick 2 track mashup on the fly but to throw all those different samples seems like it requires some work before a live set.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast