M-Audio Torq Xponent
    Tech Convert

Default M-Audio Torq Xponent

has anyone used this before, im digging around a new peice of equipment that i can do different sorts of effects on and ran across this one

Quote Originally Posted by KuBe View Post
    has anyone used this before, im digging around a new peice of equipment that i can do different sorts of effects on and ran across this one
    ah the exponent!
    it was my first foray into controller - a failed one that is

the pitch sliders were way too loose, and the jogwheels had sticker drift issues (where if you scratch a beat the beat will slowly move and do not remain in place - bad!!) plus back then i was still using a windows vaio laptop and the drivers were buggy as hell, constantly got blue screen of deaths and sometimes the controller freaks out on its own

i sold it off in 2008 and decided that controllers werent the way to go back them (this was when i was still burning cds and using cdjs most of the time , plus a bit of vinyl)

i dont know if they improved the drivers so far but i had really bad impressions on the controller - maybe just me, but just wanted to give my input haha
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by KuBe View Post
    I have an Xponent, love it but I'm saving up for vci-400,as a whole believe is most appealing controller of the year.

With Torq 2.0 sticker drift and other issues were addressed it wasn't Xponent's fault. It's still an amazing controller but I wish some of the buttons were just a little bit bigger.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by DJZILCH View Post
    ah the exponent!
    it was my first foray into controller - a failed one that is

the pitch sliders were way too loose, and the jogwheels had sticker drift issues (where if you scratch a beat the beat will slowly move and do not remain in place - bad!!) plus back then i was still using a windows vaio laptop and the drivers were buggy as hell, constantly got blue screen of deaths and sometimes the controller freaks out on its own

i sold it off in 2008 and decided that controllers werent the way to go back them (this was when i was still burning cds and using cdjs most of the time , plus a bit of vinyl)

i dont know if they improved the drivers so far but i had really bad impressions on the controller - maybe just me, but just wanted to give my input haha
    wow i didnt realize it was that old, it has good reviews on it, and seem impressive. but old to me just means it cant do what todays boards can. I am ridiculously torn between board. I think i want them all.

I am sill leaning towards the apc40, trigger finger and this, and they are all different

Tech Convert

i like how i can run tracks through traktor or ableton with the apc though and the effects are endless

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by kevz718 View Post
    Mine too.. Got it as gift when it was first released.. Bit of a novelty back then but was interesting.. Played with it a bit and then put it in closet til about a ur ago when i decided to check out traktor.. Tried to use some mappings for tp2 but still wasnt digging the xponent. But since a few years had past, i figured there must have been some improvement to these types of things so researched and found the s4 pretty quick.. Bought it and played around for a few months.

S4 blew it away with how tight the controls were and how much better it felt. Wound up going back to traditional mixer but traktor and midi stayed. Sold both xponent and s4.

So id say thst nowadays, there are so many new choices that itd be silly to go for an antiquated midi controller (no updates have been made to the device itself since it launched). Get an s2 while they are on sale. I think xponent is still pretty overpriced for some reason.. And i def wasnt a fan of torq.
    man if i had the money S4 would be ordered right now, in my opinion everything traktor puts its name on is amazing. That board is very sharp.

Well everyone has talked me out of the m audio stuff, thank you all for your help and knowledge.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

For the price I don't think you could get better than the xponant, its only $229 on amazon and few other places are including Torq2 as a free upgrade (which is as good as traktor if not better IMHO).

If you have the extra 200ish bucks though, s2 all the way.

Absolutely not worth buying under any circumstances.

It was very innovative for it's time and pretty much was the first all in one controller when it came out in like 2007, but it's the year 2012 and things have improved a little bit and controllers are actually useable now. I wouldn't pay any money for one they have many issues and it's very surprising they weren't discontinued years ago.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

It was very innovative for it's time and pretty much was the first all in one controller when it came out in like 2007
    People tend to forget Hercules really did innovate ... pffft 2004 I got the DJ console when it came out - and even had phono inputs ! :-O

....could never understand why it took so long for everyone else to follow suit,

Friends of mine are still rocking their Xponants professionally without any issues for years and don't see a need to upgrade. Sure for scratching it might not be ideal.

The original price was ridiculous though :P