First set of CDJs
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default First set of CDJs

Hello folks, this is my first post so go easy on me.

I have been DJing for the past 3 years or so, using midi controllers and traktor. I have started landing some half decent gigs and have realised that using midi controllers in a club is a pain in the arse with finding space for my equipment and having to lug it around.

I want get some cdjs so I can just turn up with my cds and play on the house equipment. I would prefer to spend as little as possible (£800 max for a pair), so would probably be buying second hand. What cdjs should I be looking out for and things to watch out for when buying second hand??

Cheers for any advice

If you plan on going straight CD without the need for using the computer, CDJ-800's would be my first look. Otherwise if you'd be okay with a smaller platter, CDJ-400's have the HID capabilities that would allow you to use them with Traktor fairly seamlessly.

And before someone pipes in with Denon being cheaper than Pioneer. Pioneer IS what's in the clubs. So for me, that's the big deciding factor right there between the two.

Other CDJ's are more expensive. Just looking at prices here in the USA, I imagine those two CDJ types would still fit within your budget.

I don't own them, so I can't give you any pointers on what to look out for.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Tech Wizard

You're probably best going for some CDJ-800's, I had a look on ebay and you'll be able to pick up a pair within your price range. I haven't personally played on a pair but I know friends who own them and haven't had a bad thing to say about them

Tech Convert

Someone near me is selling two Pioneer CDJ 1000 mk2s for £400 a pop. I gather these are pretty old, so is there little point in buying these?

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by dao View Post
    Someone near me is selling two Pioneer CDJ 1000 mk2s for £400 a pop. I gather these are pretty old, so is there little point in buying these?
    Are they in good condition? That seems really cheap, definitely worth looking into if I was you

Tech Convert

They seem okay, a few scuffs but they are in full working order. So would they be worth getting over some new gemini cdjs?

cdj 1000s are pretty nice. Nice jogs, etc.

I have own 400s,and now own 2000s. This is my ranking of CDJs in terms of quality. I've played out with ever CDJ out there.

CDJ 100-200. just too old, not worth owning anymore, no vinyl scratch more. I don't think its fair to compare this to new ones.

cdj 350 is the worst of the bunch, imo the platter feels like hell. Plays USB drives, works with rekord box. Its not terrible, but the way the 350 feels is just a turn off to me.

CDJ 800 I like this CDJ, but I've seen so many have issues breaking. If you find a good deal and its a mk2 its worth it.

CDJ 400 Love this CDJ has all the capabilities of the larger guys, just smaller and a toy feeling jog, but still feels good. Plays USB drives. Screen maybe too small to read text all the way. HID/midi capable. On traktor its pretty damn cool, other buttons could be mapped. Plus it has built in effects which can be really fun as hell to use.

CDJ 1000 great platters. Get mk3 for mp3 capabilities. Club standard for a long time for a reason. Jog tension adjustment.

CDJ 900 good platters. USB, SD, Rekord box, quantize looping, slip mode. Pretty damn awesome. I almost went this route to save money until I found an amazing deal on 2000s. Work with next gen mixers well. Has Link cabilities to play off one thumb drive, SD card. HID capable.

CDJ 2000. Pretty much as good as it gets right now. Jogs of the 1000s, all the USB, SD, etc abilities, everything the 900 has plus more. Look amazing. Needle drop on tracks. BEAUTIFUL Screen, you can see everything so easily. Most of the button are lite up for easy viewing and pressing at the club. Work with next gen mixers well. bummer is its $$$$$$ and no slip mode.
    Last edited by guiltyblade; 02-05-2012 at 03:32 PM.

1000 Mk2's do NOT play mp3 cd's.
    Cheers!
    | 13" rMBP | KORG ZERO4 | NOVATION TWITCH | 2 X CDJ-200 | KONTROL X1 |

Quote Originally Posted by geminimech View Post
    1000 Mk2's do NOT play mp3 cd's.
    yup sorry my bad. I forgot.

Tech Convert

I went to check out the cdj 1000s, they seem to be in good work order, is £400 for each deck a good price?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast