Speaker monitor reccomendation
    Tech Student

Default Speaker monitor reccomendation

Hi, looking to spend no more than $120 on some new monitors that I can also connect my PC to

Recommend me some stuff

thank you

For $120, your best bet is to go to Best Buy and get some computer speakers that sound decent.

That's my opinion at least. Good monitors cost big $$. Hence why I don't own any yet that are worth the upgrade over computer speakers than I'm using currently.

Either that, or use that money towards investing into a solid set of cans that will help do the trick as monitors.

You're not working with much, so just do the best you can or save more.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

I'm in the same situation. Right now I'm looking at the Tascam VL-M3. They are going for 80 USD in the US.(160 usd here in Thailand, I hate import taxes!!!)

I think that Behringer, M-Audio, Mackie and Samson also make some budget monitors.
    www.mixcloud.com/soundthriller
    http://djpod.com/soundthriller
    Dell Studio XPS 1340 core2duo P9600//Vestax VCI-400//Novation Nocturn//Novation Launchpad//Traktor Pro 2.6.1//Ableton Live 8.2.2

i say get a pair of behringer ms40's,i used to have them and thought they were good for the price..

why not get a decent set of bookshelfs and use a stereo amp?

i don't get why people have to have "monitors"...

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    why not get a decent set of bookshelfs and use a stereo amp?

i don't get why people have to have "monitors"...
    Because you can't do that for $120. And you will never get a home stereo system for less than $300 that sounds as good or is as loud as RP5s.

Why do you keep suggesting something that doesn't work and not giving any specific alternatives when people call you on it?

Seriously…if you can find a stereo that you think costs the same as a pair of KRK RP5 G1s, is louder, and sounds in the same ballpark……I'll go out of my way to listen to them.

It can't be done.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Why do you keep suggesting something that doesn't work and not giving any specific alternatives when people call you on it?
    ummm...what are you talking about?

it sounded to me like he needs something to reproduce music on cheaply...cheap monitors sound cheap and are a waiste of money...the krk are 300 bucks...he has 120...

my suggestion was to buy some (used or otherwise) bookshelfs with a stereo reciever...what was wrong with that?

search craigslist
    Dj F.a.R.h.A.n
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    ummm...what are you talking about?

it sounded to me like he needs something to reproduce music on cheaply...cheap monitors sound cheap and are a waiste of money...the krk are 300 bucks...he has 120...

my suggestion was to buy some (used or otherwise) bookshelfs with a stereo reciever...what was wrong with that?
    Like I said…you can't do that for $120.

if the OP is wanting them for production purposes then no...of course you can't do it for 120 bucks...his money is better spent on a decent set of headphones...

but if he is wanting to buy something that sounds decent for cheap he can get a set of bookshelfs from parts express (some of which i have heard and sound pretty darn good...of course that varies from ear to ear)...and scrounge up a stereo reciever from craigslist/family/friend...and he can have something sounding halfway decent souding for pretty cheap...

hell...he can even build himself a nice set of speakers for that same 120 bucks...(maybe not including building crossovers)

i didn't appreciate the manner in which you called me out for trying to help someone get by...we all can't afford to spend 300 dollars on speakers...excuse me..."monitors"...

i can...i have a good job that i like (for the most part)...but i can remember not having alot of money and trying to fuel my passion on the cheap...

my first home mixing set up was two Jensen 12 inch home speakers sitting on top of a old kitchen table, pointed right at me, with a shitty numark mixer and two 1200s...

i've worked in radio, ran mixer boards, produced commercials, and have been playing records for the better part of 20 years and my Polk S6's are doing a great job for me...