Traktor Beatgrid - how OCD are you when setting the beatgrids?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Traktor Beatgrid - how OCD are you when setting the beatgrids?

Hey there guys recently i spent some time regridding my old tracks that was previously gridded in Traktor 1.2.7 (previous version)

When i reopened the files i realized some of the grids are slightly off (due to the way higher resolution waveforms of the TP2)

My question is - do you try to make sure you set 100% perfect beatgrids on ALL your tracks? I've been trying to re-grid my tracks and reopening them , re-adjusting till they are 100% perfect, do you guys just set a "pretty much there" beatgrid or do you guys "have to make it sample - perfect" ?

for me i tend to try to make my grids 100% on the dot but sometimes its driving me crazy lol - am i the only one?

discuss
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

i don't bother at all - that's what jog wheels are for i might do sometime tho...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

^^^^This^^^^ I just adjust the phase a bit. That being said, I have gone back into older tracks and added some loops and I do readjust the grid when I do that.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Mentor

I usually make sure they're legit so I don't have any of that nonsense to worry about in the middle of a gig.

I've been playing alot of older stuff with live musicians lately though and that has presented some challenges, depending on the severity of BPM drift I'll either set multiple beatgrids in the track where I'm actually mixing other stuff in like for the intro and outro. For really messed up tracks I'll go ahead and chuck it in abelton and warp it.

Personally I've found that my dedication to grids is heavily based around the controller i'm using.
    I used to mainly use a Xone 2D which had no proper cogwheel and found myself being quite strict with grids. I'd always grid all my songs before a mix tape.

Then I picked up an S4 and everything changed.
    I find myself barely even gridding, the jogwheels are the only thing I use.
    Occasionally the grid is massively off the track and even then I just tap 'trash grid' and it gets the tempo right.
    Saying that though, I learned on Vinyl and being able to beat match changes everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Saying that though, I learned on Vinyl and being able to beat match changes everything.
    same here and this fact might well divide the camp with who likes to use beatgrids or not. must admit i do really like bpm detection tho... still fun doing it all by hand but no real point these days. i suspect those skills will help me get out of a potential train wreck one day tho...
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl

I learned on vinyls as well but I started using the sample decks heavily and found out that when you create you own sample deck loops (press sample deck button when a loop is activated) that sample will copy the beatgrid of the original track, meaning if the original has a perfect beatgrid the chopped sample will do to

When they introduce the f1 and traktor 2.5 the features i suspect will rely on tracks perfectly beatgridded

I'm just really OCD about my collection if it's missing the grid and the artwork (and below 320kbps) i feel there's something missing lol
    Setup:

Traktor Pro 2 / S2 MK2 / X1 MK2 / Audio6 / Pioneer HDJ2000 / Westone UM3X / rMBP 13 inch 2014 (2.8 GHz) / Focal Alpha 50

Quote Originally Posted by DJZILCH View Post
    When they introduce the f1 and traktor 2.5 the features i suspect will rely on tracks perfectly beatgridded
    could be i'll have no choice with 2.5 tho i've so far only been loading specific samples into the sample decks - not dynamically grabbing them from loops etc.

I'm just really OCD about my collection if it's missing the grid and the artwork (and below 320kbps) i feel there's something missing lol
    me too about artwork now ever since i started using itunes to manage my collection. i spent hours looking for artwork for some of my more obscure tracks that i ripped myself from cd and never any artwork for.

i don't have any mp3's under 320kbps tho - don't see the point - unless it's just some rare track that i can't find to buy anywhere at 320. i probably have a few mp3's at 192 that i wouldn't mind finding at 320 but don't have those in my traktor mp3 collection.

20 seconds per track. make adjustments on the fly.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by Jester.NZ View Post
    20 seconds per track. make adjustments on the fly.
    this, i think its sheer laziness to be honest, if im drooping loops and making edits ill do them on the fly
    MBP / 8gb Ram / 1TB / SSL / Rane SL2 / HD25's / Dicers / Empty Bank Account

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast