Dell Inspiron & Traktors CPU Meter

Default Dell Inspiron & Traktors CPU Meter

My Dell Inspiron laptop has decided to start maxing out the cpu meter every so many seconds causing a crackle in the sound. Iv killed nearly all processes and have played around with the various latency settings on the audio 4 control panel. Iv recorded a set and the sound quality is awful. Im running xp and done various tweaks. It's got a 1.79Ghz and 1.87GB Ram. Any ideas? Im thinking a new laptop. It just seems strange its only just started to happen.

Cheers
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's

Tech Wizard

My last Dell started doing this after a while. Turned out it was overheating. Is there any way you can check your CPU temperature?

Fus

Tech Mentor

If it's a problem that has just started happening, I would recommend trying to fix it rather than just trashing your laptop as it's clear that your laptop should be able to run everything just fine.

Maybe it is overheating, the only other things that come to mind are maybe you have a virus or your antivirus was running a scan or Windows was updating, something like that?

or he might have spyware.
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

i don't think it's a virus (but check it!!)
    check your cpu temperatur (speed fan will do it --> http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php )
    you also can try to clean the fan of your laptop with a vacuum cleaner (not much power)..

Tech Mentor

I *just* finished reading a post from a user over on the Hercules RMX forum who had a similar dilemma and as it turned out, it was faulty hardware. He didn't know it until he checked the Event Viewer logs and saw a bunch of errors.

Might be worth your while to check the Event Viewer logs if you haven't already. From past postings I've read, wireless cards and DVD/CD drives ended up being the hardware culprits.

That post I mentioned turned out to be a great happy ending story too -->
    http://tinyurl.com/dcgw2a