Best scratch mixer for a beginner?
    Tech Mentor

Default Best scratch mixer for a beginner?

Something a little different for DJTT - I'm looking for a scratch mixer for my turntables. I really just want to learn how to scratch.

I don't know anything about external mixers, nor which are preferred for scratching really and which are the best values.

I'm just starting out so I don't want to spend TOO much but at the same time I'd like something that would last.

Recommend anything as long as it's a good *value*. 2 channel is nice but I'd probably want a four channel mixer overall in the end, so feel free to recommend either.

Budget? That's the importantfactor here. If you want a scratch mixer that lasts, you'll need to spend around £250. But you can get a cheap 2-channel mixer (<£100) and modify the crossfader for scratching...

Scratch standard mixers are:

Vestax PMC05
    Technics SHex 1200

the korg km-202 is a great starter scratch mixer, its only 250usd and it has a alpha cross fader decent, but you can upgrade it, later on.

only thing is the channel fader is not good for scratching tho. but you can on the xfader she cuts like a dream.
    www.myspace.com/djxsquizet
    my arsenal:
    2x vestax pdx, numark dxm09, m-audio x session pro, and ableton live 6.

I spin hip hop/electro/top 40

my 10minmix video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAgSmaG4zM

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Budget? That's the importantfactor here. If you want a scratch mixer that lasts, you'll need to spend around £250. But you can get a cheap 2-channel mixer (<£100) and modify the crossfader for scratching...

Scratch standard mixers are:

Vestax PMC05
    Technics SHex 1200
    Vestax is definitely the #1 Scratch style mixers(imo). Also Rane and the Pioneer 909(both expensive). You will want to have a mixer with the capability to adjust your crossfader's tension and "cut in" time. Hopefully, the level faders will have this option also. Most, nowadays, will have an optical style fader too, meaning, little to no contact internally. I have found that it is better to spend a little more $$ now, and save from constantly switching out new c.f.'s Xsquizet said it correctly too...that the X-Fader is an awesome solution for a less than par fader.

Tech Wizard

Pretty much every really good scratch dj will either have a 2 channel Vestax, which has always produced great products, or Rane which is well known among scratch dj's who are very picky about the feel of the crossfader, which is what it all comes down to because even some of the best (most expensive) mixers will have some of the worst cross faders for scratching . To be able to scratch effectively and with style you need a cross fader that best suits you. There is also a third option over buying a Vestax or Rane mixer, there are plenty of other 2 channel battle mixers out there with cool features that come pretty cheap, like the Numark DM1002 which I really enjoyed because of the kill switches, buy a cheap mixer and a third party crossfader like the Pro X-Fade or the InnoFader, which are also highly recommended among scratch djs. Then swap out the crossfader on it for the third party one.
    Last edited by Taz; 04-16-2009 at 12:03 AM.

Tech Mentor

I'm thinking I'm going to try to find a used mixer (one of the ones mentioned above) after hitting some stores to get a feel for what's out there in person.

I have to stress that I am a total beginner to scratching. I've watched a couple videos on baby scratches and stuff like that but I have no idea really what is helpful, gear-wise, when scratching (apart from having a really sharp cut on your fader and overall just having a good grip on it, and making sure the resistance and feel is well-suited for you).

That brings me to another question - what else should one look for in a scratch mixer?

I should probably note that I'm not so naive to think I'll be scratching by next week, this is just something I want to pursue lifelong, hopefully I'll be good enough to perform (scratching) in 2-3 years.