Getting back into doing, mixer or controller ...
    Tech Convert

Default Getting back into doing, mixer or controller ...

I have not dj'd for a good few years and have decided to get back into it,although it will be bedroom only. I have a lot of vinyl but also have a pretty reasonable digital collection. My mixer is in need of replacement so my initial plan was to buy something like a pioneer djm 350 and then add a cdj350 (giving me the ability to load tunes via usb ) and sell one of my technics.or buy a DVR setup and keep both technics. That was before I discovered the world of controllers, traktor S2 and S4 to be specific. I think I may be at a life changing moment, should I drop my technics and go down the controller only route?

I must admit I am totally lost, it would be nice to keep with the mixer and technics but that is what I am used to... Certainly the controller route has a lure on cost alone- I couldn't even pick up a mixer for the price of an S2, then I would have to fund a CDj or DVR (and dedicate a laptop to it).

So, over to you, thoughts about options, advantages, disadvantages appreciated?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Keep your TTs, you will regret selling them in a few years.

You can actually get yourself a S4, buy a Traktor Scratch certification and plug your TTs into it. Then you've actually got both.
    I don't know at all how exactly it all works but I know something like that is possible. Don't know if it also works with the S2 or with any other controller though.
    Gear: late 2011 13" i7 256GB Macbook Air, Numark NS7, 2x Technics SL-1200MK2, Dateq XTC, 2x M-Audio CX8
    Check my Souncloud for livesets: http://soundcloud.com/dj-subliminal

Tech Convert

so, I can use the S4 as a mixer for the technics provided I am happy to mix within Traktor?

The other option which looks rather nice is the Denon DN-X600, I could then add timecode (per the 1600) but cant use the mixer to select the music files as there is no endless rotary. But it starts to get expensive when I add the extra £100 or so for the software.

are you having fun spinning vinyls? -> keep the TT's!

are you having fun spinning with controllers? don't know? -> try!

usually they have 2 approaches:
    - controllers without jogwheel and pitchfader = made for more "premade"-style sets which are proper gridded & tagged (or for people using DVS as an button + feature extension)
    [example: ni-x1, denon hc 1000s]

- controllers with joghwheel + pitchfader = made for more "spontaneus"-style sets so if you are lazy with beatgridding or just want to play a track just came into your mind after 2-3 transistions and you dont have them gridded proper before, such a controller will provide more "fun" for you ;D (hint: look for the resolution, 7bit midi isn't fun to pitch with ;D) (or for people which dont have TT's or CDJ's controlling their DJ-Software)
    [example: denon sc-2000, ni s2, ni s4]

so you had fun mixing with controllers? yes? -> keep them!

i would suggest to use an analogue mixer until you ARE SURE the sound of the emulated ones the dj-software provides you are matching your requirements because i know a lot of people which don't like their behaviour incl. myself ;o)

if i were you, i would use an xone22 or 42 with an 4x or 8x audio-interface + DVS and add an NI-X1 for enhanced hotcue + EFX control so you have the best features of both worlds ;o)
    Last edited by racoon; 02-08-2012 at 09:48 AM.
    ( www.sickinc.org ~ a psychedelic trance ritual )

Don't sell your decks but get an s2.

It's an absolute steal at the mo and a lot of fun. It will keep you going for a long while.

Down the line you can think about a DVS package.

You can always use TTs with an s2 as mixer but you need an external NI certified soundcard like audio 4/6/8/10 and upgrade to traktor scratch software.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOne View Post
    You can always use TTs with an s2 as mixer but you need an external NI certified soundcard like audio 4/6/8/10 and upgrade to traktor scratch software.
    NI forces you to buy ANOTHER audio interface only for an fucking scratch-certificate? if you buyd an S2 with an audio interface which has been built in BY NI? BWAHAHAHA ^^ lol fuck you NI, srsly ;o)
    ( www.sickinc.org ~ a psychedelic trance ritual )

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

@racoon. The S2 only has 1 IN, that's why it's not scratch certified. So technically they are ""forcing"" you to get something with more inputs. Don't expect all the features on the smaller brother.
    Last edited by padi_04; 02-08-2012 at 10:31 AM.

I say since you already have the techs, go the S4 route and just go DVS. It will feel similar, but with the flex of a controller. Best of both worlds IMO

Tech Convert

I didnt realise you could use the S2 with the technics. So if I understand correctly purchase the S2, use this as a "mixer" through traktor for the TT's which have their own sound card? Will look into this option as I guess it allows me to play with the controller option and if I am not happy (prefer the old fashioned approach), sell it and buy a mixer - and I can time code this as I already have the Audio4/6/8/10. Good idea if I understand it correctly.

Will also look into the xone mixers too. Thanks