Speakers (low end)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Speakers (low end)

I know theres a few threads on speakers already but most of them are from last year and cater to the US.
    I'm looking for some speakers around £120. I'll only be using them for DJing/listening to music on. Looking at other threads I'm probably best not getting monitors although I like the look of these.....
    http://www.decks.co.uk/products/reloop/ADM5

If not the ADM5's can anyone suggest any that are no more expensive than those?
    They need to be active and willing to look at 2.1 if that would be more appropriate?

If youre not using them to produce then literally anything will do.

I'd recommend a second hand Hi-Fi setup if youre on a tight budget. That way you can update parts of it as and when you like. With powered speakers you have to replace the whole shabang.

But, as you state, you need cheap active speakers. Which will be difficult to find in youre price range. Maybe you could buy one good speaker and save up for a second?
    People tend to recommend KRK's. Theyre good for DJing, but too coloured for production.

Audio gear is one of those 'you get what you pay for' things, for £125 you aint getting much.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Tech Guru

Second hand may well be the way forward. What are peoples thoughts on the original KRK RP5's?

How would they compare to a standard say, Logitech, 2.1 speaker system costing around £75?

I'd expect better quality at low-medium volume levels, but will they go as loud without distorting? What about the bass without a sub?
    Last edited by KS2; 02-08-2012 at 08:31 AM.

Default Speakers (low end)

Check out m audio line of studio monitors should have something in that price range

Sent from my jailbroken iPhone

For practice you wont need them that loud, do you want these for parties too?

The KRK's are decent, they can handle a good volume without distorting but lack sub bass.

I think you may well be better off going with the 2.1 logitech setup. It should be able to handle adequate volume levels. The benefit of having the sub involved aswell is it takes a lot of strain off the speakers.

Have a look at the specs, try to find the SPL of the system/s in question.
    Ecler NUO 3.0, 2 1210mk2, midi fighter, Kontrol X1, Akai LPD8, Reloop RHP10's, TSP, Audio 8

Howitzer on Soundcloud | Howitzer on Twitter | Howitzer on Facebook | Howitzer dnb blog

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Flash101uk View Post
    For practice you wont need them that loud, do you want these for parties too?

The KRK's are decent, they can handle a good volume without distorting but lack sub bass.

I think you may well be better off going with the 2.1 logitech setup. It should be able to handle adequate volume levels. The benefit of having the sub involved aswell is it takes a lot of strain off the speakers.

Have a look at the specs, try to find the SPL of the system/s in question.
    Just for practice but for listening to as well, I like my music pretty loud but it'll be in a fairly small room. Does anyone have any suggestions on speakers in that price range?

Tech Mentor

You can pick up some krk's in england cheap cheap cheap. I got some krk 5 for £60 and they do the job good. Also save my genelecs from being fucked on
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jamthrax View Post
    You can pick up some krk's in england cheap cheap cheap. I got some krk 5 for £60 and they do the job good. Also save my genelecs from being fucked on
    Cheapest I've found are the older RP5's on ebay for £120 but the guys in London and won't deliver!

Tech Mentor

they be the one i got... you can run them hot as fuck.. would pay £100 for them
    Macbook Pro 2011 :: Xone 22 :: Technics 1200 :: Denon DNS3700 :: 2x Midifighter ::Akia MPD24 :: Kaoss Pad 2 :: Audio 6 :: KRK Rockit 5 Darkstar :: Roland Sh-101 :: Traktor Scratch Duo :: Ableton live 8

People should really spend more on speakers if they claim to love music!

my advice to you is go second hand and do hell lot of research, you will find something within your budget that aint to bad to begin with.

Last big purchase i made stood between a upgrade of my speakers or a car,
    went with the speakers and boy i am happy. Worth every penny.

Now, you don't need to spend that much on your first setup,

I had B&W DM 685 speakers (bout 800 dollars i think combined with NAD amplifier c325BEE which was around 600 dollars i think)

Thats good value for your money, even better if found second hand. These things dont loose their value as dj gear and active no-name speakers does.

You can also use them with sucess as source of sound for your TV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast