Beginner Controller or go all out?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beginner Controller or go all out?

i have been obsessed with playing music and even delve into music production but i have no controller or gear ! my friends convinced me not to get the Ns6 and just start out with something to see if this is really what i want to do. so i need advice. after more research of instead of the 800$ something more manegable like

350-450 $USD range. and i just want to ask about the Kontrol S2. i wanted the s4 but i think the s2 will be fine for someone genuinely intrested in this field. right now this website has a pack with the s2 and some little goodies added along. do you guys find the s2 with a 70$ bundle package for 399$ worth it? or should i stick really simply to something like the numark mixtrack pro? those 2 are the ones i got the best feedback from and someone did throw out the pioneer ergo. the highest price controler was denon mc3000 but that on amazon is 560. 160$ more than id like to spend. does the s2 have a nice soundcard? can i listen to music in the headphones before its out? and does it have a booth output. will the s2 offered here come with traktor?

haha im open to all suggestions like i said im starting out did serveral parties with virtual DJ and im in love with the field trying to add my own flavor to the mix. thanks a lot guys

Use the search button, a very high percentage of people on here will suggest the S2. The package deal with it is great, and its a pretty solid controller.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

VERY solid controller. It will also complement the new Kontrol F1 coming in April or any of the Behringer CMD series also coming soon. It's a great controller, and for that price it's a steal considering it comes with a copy of Traktor 2.

I've got a custom map here that you should check out.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

At the current price of $399 you won't get any better build quality/soundcard/software combo out there - its solid!

At the regular price mind you its a bit "meh!"

Tech Mentor

Yeah it comes with Traktor Pro 2... that makes it a complete steal of a deal, considering full version of Traktor Pro 2 (not upgrade) is $229. Great deal, and it's not just a good starting point, it's something you should be able to grow in to as you learn more features (loops, samples, hot cues, efx, etc).
    13" Macbook Air (OS 10.8/256GB SSD/4GB RAM) | Traktor S2
    Latest DJ Recording: The Wedding Set (40 Minute House Set)

As everyone else said, go for the S2, I had the mixtrack pro, and its great and all, but nothing compared to the quality and price combo of the S2. Not sure if you are used to using traktor, but its easy to pick up !

Tech Convert

just going to go ahead and disagree with everyone here and suggest the best controller for you price range would be VCI-100SE. This controller can do basically all that the s2 can, and has been completely remapped by DJTT, allowing it to do some pretty cool stuff. Just google the "VCI-100SE" and start watching the videos. IF and i repeat IF you are a PC you can buy a normal VCI-100 for cheap (got mine for $150), along with a firmware upgrade chip from DJTT (i think its like 40$) which will turn the normal VCI-100 into the VCI-100SE.......... Can you say "fuck'n A"

So thats my opinion. At least worth looking at. If you own the PC and go that route your looking at a controler for about $200-250 that IMO blows the s2 out of the water...... Now if you are on mac and want to do the VCI-100 you cannot get the firmware upgrade chip and must buy the VCI-100SE from DJTT which is around $550 so..... if you want the VCI-100SE and are on a mac it is way more expensive, but still way cool.

Im getting the VCI-400 ean golden edition when its out later this month which is going to be around $1000, pry out of your price range. But its is basically the best things from the VCI-100SE, S4 DJTT mapping, and the midi fighter all bundled together. BALLLLLUUUUHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

just going to go ahead and disagree with everyone here and suggest the best controller for you price range would be VCI-100SE.
    VCI 100 (IMHO) =

• No soundcard
    • No *Software
    • Non-intuitive layout (layer switching and no-representation of the software)
    • Older Tech

*Decent software bundled

If the VCI100 Mk2 had the same features as the SE I'd say its a runner, but the SE =

$150-200 - For the Unit Secondhand with no warranty
    $100 - Decent Soundcard (Audio 2) which won't have a mic input.
    $40 - SE Upgrade
    $200 - Software

Errrrrrrrrr $440 - $490 for a secondhand unit with no warranty and still no mic input, with a non-intuitive layout, hmmm let me ponder this.
    Last edited by deevey; 02-08-2012 at 05:11 PM.

Tech Convert

@Deevey

You make some good points.

However im not sure that someone who is looking to start needs all of those things. When i started i listened to the mix from my headphone going out from my comp..... really only need a sound card for clubs (which im not sure the original poster is at this point yet)

No card means no instrument or midi or mic inputs, which again i dont think th user will need.... if hes just getting into DJ'ing im betting hes not a producer so all those inputs that aren't there on the card he doesn't have should be fine.

Its old..... but who gives a fuck!!!! You dont see DJTT making specialized overlays and mappings for other newer models.

I dont agree with you when you say the controller is not intuitive. The only part of the controller which may be considered non-intuitive is the FX section and that only because you have to press a button to get from FX unti A to B. EQis where it should be, crossfader, jog wheels, pitch faders... yada yada yada

In the end if you buy a controller because someone tells you its the best and you havent done any research on what your spending your money on, you probably should have done some more homework in finding what you want to do with traktor and your controller.

@original poster ------ go find a friend who mixes and try using their shit... if its not what you want grab your laptop and head over to guitar center for an afternoon and try every unit u think will be good. Those dudes at GC are dope except if you try and sell them something they will offer your abour 5% of what its worth, then you will hate them

PC..... good luck..... may the force be with you all.

However im not sure that someone who is looking to start needs all of those things. When i started i listened to the mix from my headphone going out from my comp..... really only need a sound card for clubs (which im not sure the original poster is at this point yet)
    No card means no instrument or midi or mic inputs, which again i dont think th user will need.... if hes just getting into DJ'ing im betting hes not a producer so all those inputs that aren't there on the card he doesn't have should be fine.
    1. You NEED a 2x Stereo out sound card for Cueing .. at the very least, its quite possible he will need a mic input depending on the type of DJ he is (or planning on being).

2. He'd also still needs to buy software.

I dont agree with you when you say the controller is not intuitive. The only part of the controller which may be considered non-intuitive is the FX section and that only because you have to press a button to get from FX unti A to B.
    3. So it IS non-intuitive, if you intend using FX simultaneously on 2 decks it becomes a pain, AND Its still one more thing that you need to "watch" instead of just "knowing" where something is.

Just seems like really bad advice to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast