Dubstep and Brostep? Discuss!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Dubstep and Brostep? Discuss!

You know I see how brostep came from dubstep or whatever. And yes I know how people now are always saying "i hope this guy melts my face tonight" or something like that or "play heavy shit all night!" But i dont think that "brostep" should be a sub of dubstep. It is dubstep I mean why make it a subcategory. It has the same concepts. And I seriously dont think Skrillex made "Bro-step" big. I think it was Excision? Give me your thoughts on this? Concept wise do you think theres a BIG, and when i say big i mean BIG difference between brostep and dubstep. Should brostep be a subcategory? Why cant it just be called Dubstep? Discuss!

Because it's an umbrella term.
    Same goes for house music, classical music, drum&bass, hiphop, and then some.

Discussed.
    Midi Fighter|Kontrol X1|A4DJ|HDJ2000|MBP 13" 2,53Ghz 60GB SSD/500GB HDD

Quote Originally Posted by Audeo View Post
    Because it's an umbrella term.
    Same goes for house music, classical music, drum&bass, hiphop, and then some.

Discussed.
    True true. But see with subs of house music and classical music theres actually a huge difference in concepts of all the subs of those types. So it can be a sub. Brostep from dubstep, not a huge difference. Id say a 20% difference from any so-called dubstep track.

Tech Mentor

Within every genre there are sub genres to define its own niche.

Espically these days when the ability to create music is so access-able by the "average" person.

Look at House music, it has evolved so much over the years sub genres had to be created in order to define what style of music was going to be played.

Look at electro...theres Electro, Big room electro, Complextro, Funky Electro the list goes on...its still Electro...but just different sounding.

I do know that if im going to see a show i would like to know what specific style is going to be played.

If all i saw was DJ so and so spinning house music...i am to think "traditional" house music...and if i show up and hes spinning Tech House or Electro House, i may be dissapointed.

The same applies to Dubstep...the older crowds prefer the oldschool dubstep...really Bass heavy and more melodic...than say Doctor Ps new stuff or Excision/skrillex which the younger crowds seem to dig more.
    Kontrol S4-Novation Launch Pad-MF Pro BM-Traktor Pro 2-KRKRP8/KRK10-Windows 7 64 Bit-Toshiba A660

I dont care if you use 2 ipads...2 cassette tapes...or a washboard and a wooden spoon...if you rock it, you rock it.

Quote Originally Posted by EchePalante View Post
    True true. But see with subs of house music and classical music theres actually a huge difference in concepts of all the subs of those types. So it can be a sub. Brostep from dubstep, not a huge difference. Id say a 20% difference from any so-called dubstep track.
    I don't know about that... I think there's a pretty huge difference between:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk6bapqdiSA

And

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSeNSzJ2-Jw&ob=av2e

Yet both are considered Dubstep.

Anyhow, we've already discussed the subject in this thread, and I think some very valid points were raised. Go have a read
    i´ll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Quote Originally Posted by EchePalante View Post
    Why cant it just be called Dubstep?
    I'm quite interested in listening to a tune if someone describes it as dubstep, because it might not be brostep and I may like it.
    I'm not interested in hearing a tune if someone describes it as brostep, 'cos chances are I won't like it.
    It's useful when someone describes a tune as brostep as far as I'm concerned, 'cos I pretty much know then what it'll sound like.
    Subcategories can be useful in communicating what a tune is going to sound like efficiently and quickly. Sometimes stuff doesn't need a micro-category. Brostep definitely does.
    Last edited by lethal_pizzle; 02-08-2012 at 04:00 PM.
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

All these terms are just coined by someone at some point...this happens to be one of the ones in use for really heavy dubstep. Nothing is "official"

Quote Originally Posted by Conall View Post
    All these terms are just coined by someone at some point...
    ...true of everything
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

^ exactly. And the person blamed for starting brostep is Rusko. And original dubstep was heavy reggae influenced, Brostep more american-alized metal based.

this topic again?
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast