A couple questions on music library file management and organization
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default A couple questions on music library file management and organization

So I've finally tagged and trimmed down my entire Traktor library with trainspotter and got all tags and cover art from beatport. Now the only thing I haven't figured out is how to organize the actual files on my hard drive.

I trimmed down a massive library of all types of music from like 30,000 songs I hoarded over the course of almost 10 years and trimmed it down to 2500 or so for DJing. Now I deleted the files through traktor or trainspotter which still leave a huge mess of abandoned folders and subfolders leftover from when I had everything intricately sorted.

This is annoying and it takes forever for traktor to import folders and consistency check anything.

I need to pull all of my tracks from wherever they are in my nest of folders and sort them into a simple system that will just split everything up into genre folders unless I can think of a better system. Is there any program for mac that will do this for me?

What about a program for mac that will rename all my files from their tag information so everything looks neat?

anybody?

Tech Mentor

I just went through my old HD last week. I dragged stuff from traktor into different genre folders then made a playlist in traktor for each of those folders. idk if that helps, not to sure about programs either.

btw thanks for mentioning trainspotter. Ive never heard of it, but it my come in handy

Tech Wizard

Have you looked at the Relocate Tracks function in Trainspotter? This will rename your files and place in folders according to tag values.

Why bother with genre folders when the Traktor collection displays by genre? idk, I just let itunes put everything in organized folders as I never use the finder to get my tunes.

Also, if you're using Trainspotter, make sure to take advantage of the Dynamic Playlist feature. I have my songs arranged by energy level, theme/sub-genre (chick, beach..), and bpm ranges.
    OSX 10.6.4 | Traktor Pro 2 | VCi-100 FW 1.4 | NI Audio 8 | Xone 92 | M Audio BX8A Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by wys01 View Post
    Have you looked at the Relocate Tracks function in Trainspotter? This will rename your files and place in folders according to tag values.
    Oh really? Well that will do it...

Tech Wizard

Check the Relocation page in the preferences, then click Manage Playlists, right click on the playlist you want to process and click Tools->Relocate Tracks, then click Start.

Probably best to test a small playlist first before renaming your entire collection.

Quote Originally Posted by wys01 View Post
    Check the Relocation page in the preferences, then click Manage Playlists, right click on the playlist you want to process and click Tools->Relocate Tracks, then click Start.

Probably best to test a small playlist first before renaming your entire collection.
    So it will rename all the files, sort the files, and update the traktor library with the new file locations and names? That's awesome.

Tech Wizard

Honestly, iTunes is going to be your friend here. I've always hated it too, preferring to organize my folders my self (I always did big genre based folders too, and still keep my "master" backup organized like that).

Install iTunes, set it to copy files into the itunes music folder and to keep that folder organized. Import your whole collection into it, take a little time to make sure you've got your genres how YOU want them (ummm, was that Deep Soulful House or Progressive Dark Cryptic House or......ARRRGH). Then, whip up some quick smart playlists based on them.

After that, you'll have perfectly genre organized playlists to use in Traktor. And when you drop a new song into iTunes it will automatically route its way into those playlists.

Also, doing it that way will leave your existing folders intact, copy them off to a backup drive or something.

Like I said, I've always loathed iTunes, but it really is worth it to use it for Traktor.

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by SparkDogg View Post
    Honestly, iTunes is going to be your friend here. I've always hated it too, preferring to organize my folders my self (I always did big genre based folders too, and still keep my "master" backup organized like that).

Install iTunes, set it to copy files into the itunes music folder and to keep that folder organized. Import your whole collection into it, take a little time to make sure you've got your genres how YOU want them (ummm, was that Deep Soulful House or Progressive Dark Cryptic House or......ARRRGH). Then, whip up some quick smart playlists based on them.

After that, you'll have perfectly genre organized playlists to use in Traktor. And when you drop a new song into iTunes it will automatically route its way into those playlists.

Also, doing it that way will leave your existing folders intact, copy them off to a backup drive or something.

Like I said, I've always loathed iTunes, but it really is worth it to use it for Traktor.

Peace
    No thanks, that's not what I was asking and I refuse to use itunes within traktor since there is no cover art among a ton of other reasons why itunes still sucks. Some people seem to suck it up and use it but the cons far outweigh any pros.

I'm just looking for a way to sort my files and clean up my collection and looks like trainspotter will do it (and trainspotter also does smart playlists).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast