Where to place cue points?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where to place cue points?

Where do you guys normally set up your cue points? Does it differ from song to song or is there a pattern you guys follow?

DJ-ing 101...

you tell me your thoughts...where do you think they should go?

drums? vocals? bassline? breakdown?

I do "1" at my mix in point, which is the start of the track normally or soon after it. "2" is at the start of the first buildup. "3" is 4 beats before the chorus/drop. "4" is the actual chorus or drop. "5" is the start of the breakdown. "6" is 4 beats before the 2nd drop. "7" is the 2nd drop. Finally "8" is at my mix out point, or the start of the outro.

This changes sometimes, when I have specific parts I want cue'd, or if it's used in a routine.

I like mine arranged like this because I can easily jump around a track, and they serve as great visual indicators if I ever get lost in the track.
    BCF 2000
    Traktor Pro 2
    Kontrol X1

I tend to arrange mine at the start of phrases which differ from the previous one. Maybe it's a breakdown or a chorus. It differs from song to song though. Put the cue points where you feel you need them.

DJTT Infectious Moderator photojojo's Avatar

I mark vocals with the fade in and fade out markers and I set up intro and outro loops and that's about all I use my cues for.
    Chris Jennings FHP

Podcast - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Beatport Charts - x

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by NathanWard View Post
    I do "1" at my mix in point, which is the start of the track normally or soon after it. "2" is at the start of the first buildup. "3" is 4 beats before the chorus/drop. "4" is the actual chorus or drop. "5" is the start of the breakdown. "6" is 4 beats before the 2nd drop. "7" is the 2nd drop. Finally "8" is at my mix out point, or the start of the outro.

This changes sometimes, when I have specific parts I want cue'd, or if it's used in a routine.

I like mine arranged like this because I can easily jump around a track, and they serve as great visual indicators if I ever get lost in the track.
    Way more extensive than i am. Stealing your way for sure

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by NathanWard View Post

Great post. I recently started doing this. At first it was only 'mix in' and 'mix out' cues, but as I've gotten better, more creative and purchased an X1, I've started cueing throughout the whole track.

Just curious. Do you cue up 4 beats before the drops for looping purposes?

Tech Mentor

Do you cue up 4 beats before the drops for looping purposes?
    Yeah, I do. I'm no expert at this stuff though, but it seems to work for me.

Another thing I will often do is loop the outro and use that to mix in a track rather than using it's intro, since often I find outros can be more sparse than intros and thus can mix in more seamlessly. It's then easy to switch back to another cue point in the intro or go straight to the first drop itself at the appropriate time in the mix.

I typically put one at the very last spot where I can mix in the next song. Basically a visual cue to tell me to get my ass moving and quit bouncing around the booth or trying to pick up on some chick. hahah

This is actually a left over from my vinyl days. I use to mark the records with a gold marker on all the breaks and drops. That's how you created cue points back in the day.
    1 Denon DNX1600, 2 Technics SL1200MKII, 1 Pioneer DDJ SX, 1 Reloop Terminal Mix2, 1 MBP running VDJ/Traktor/Serato SL/DJ
    Soundcloud
    Vimeo
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by C.Lukas1 View Post
    Just curious. Do you cue up 4 beats before the drops for looping purposes?
    Indeed I do. Some songs have vocal phrases at that point, and I use those to tease the audience before I mix the track in.
    BCF 2000
    Traktor Pro 2
    Kontrol X1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast