Pioneer DJM900 vs. Denon DN-X1700 my comparo
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pioneer DJM900 vs. Denon DN-X1700 my comparo

Hey all, just joined up a couple of days ago. I posted up a Youtube comparison between these 2 mixers, I didn't go in to great depth on each because 1 the video would be too long and 2 most of you know about these 2 mixer.... if you don't there are plenty of Youtube Vids on them.

My review is as honest as I can make it and I speak the truth on how I believe these 2 mixers compare. If you haven't used both of these mixers for any length don't bash the other till you've used both. I own the Denon I chose it because my last mixer was a Denon DN-X 1500 and after 4 years it still works like a charm.....only its sold to a buddy of mine. I had my heart set on a DJM900 but I saved $900. getting the Denon had the price been the same or even say $100 difference yes I'd choose the DJM.

http://youtu.be/S85rW9rQAMM

So I posted my comparo on the Pioneer DJ Forums and the Denon DJ Forums,

Here is what Pioneer had to say to me........ (copied and paste link)

* Gavin

@Roy > as per the terms of service, there is to be no discussion of competitors products or price here.

You are receiving this comment notification because you subscribed to updates in "Pioneer DJM 900 vs Denon DN-X 1700 Comparo"

Here is what Denon had to say to me...... (copied and pate link)

Hi SOUNDWAVE, thanks for your video review.
    Silvio Zeppieri
    Denon DJ Brand Manager, D&M Professional
    100 Corporate Drive
    Mahwah, New Jersey, 07058 (USA)

http://www.denondj.com

So what's Pioneer's problem? are they scared of competition? or do they not want you to know how much their ripping you off on their prices? I believe its both. In my You tube vid I do say the Pio has a slight advantage or the Denon in terms of effects and will not distort at max levels like the Denon did but is that enough to pay $400. + more well that's up to you.

As we all know marketing has a big role to play in this and Pioneer marketed their stuff better and they don't want you to shop around because its Pioneer or nothing so guys generally just stick to Pioneer because ther friends have Pioneer, all the big name Dj's are using Pioneer....it also helps when Pioneeer gives away DJ gear to all the top DJ's, clubs and venues hence the reason why so see Pio gear everywhere. Now don't get me wrong I fell in love with the CDJ1000 when I first used them back many years ago I just like the way they operate so unless someone else makes a good quality CD deck that operates the same as a CDJ I won't be switching.

Speaking of CDJ quality I know I'm not alone when I say the CDJ850 and 900 feel like cheap plastic toys compared to the CDJ1000, I'm not sure of the CDJ2000 because I've never used one yet but I'm assuming its pretty much the same with the addition of the colored screen and some fancy LED lights.

IMO Pioneer is getting too cocky with their gear and its only a matter of time till you start to see their later modeled CDJ's crap out because of poor build quality, I'm already hearing stories of the USB slots breaking and falling into the player, I really hope I'm wrong on this because I do like my CDJ900's but some days I just wonder if I should have sold my MINT 1000MK3's.

SHAME ON YOU PIONEER............ SMARTEN UP!
    Last edited by DJ SOUNDWAVE; 02-12-2012 at 12:19 PM.

uh i wouldn't say the are 2000s are the same 1000 with a nice screen. The amount of usage from it, between USB, HID, SD, Waveforms, etc. The MK3 are just old compared to it.

Sorry I didn't word it properly I meant 2000's compaired to the 900. I have the 900's now and compaired to my 1000MK3's they feel cheap despite all the extra features, I haven't used the 2000's but I'm thinking aside from the coolored screen, and exta LED's its the same FEEL as the 900. At least that's what Pioneer claims. I'm well aware of the features of the 2000's.

No you are wrong - they probably just don't want any legal trouble from other companies as they are responsible for user comments on their forum - hence don't mention other products
    SC | MC

Tech Mentor

exactly, keep in mind the denon forum is an unofficial forum, Denon really does not care what goes on there, it is not moderated by them. Pioneer stands on it's own by reputation and word of mouth, they do not need comparisons of competitors on their forum in my opinion. I used both Denon and Pioneer and personally I prefer Pioneer, not saying Denon is crap, just prefer the features of pioneer cdj's and mixers

Tech Convert

Hi, I'm very happy with my DJM900, brillant mixer big step up from DJM800, it sounds much better, and does so much more, also i can use mine with DVS (traktor) with my trusty old technics again , CDJ's will never darken my door again. I was thinking about the Denon X1700 Mixer, but i had bad exerience with prevous Denon's DNX1500S mixers, i had two both from new a few years apart and they both had really hissy noisy headphone outputs, which denon ignored, also with the pioneer 900 I managed to get a euro import for £1200 uk voltage saving £400 off the uk ripoff price

I have a DN-X1700 and I love it. The matrix input selection is awesome. With the new Traktor 2.6 macro FX, I now use it as a MIDI mixer control surface for traktor and mix internally (like the new Z2 does) which gives me access to Post-Fader FX in traktor. And I can very easily switch between internal traktor MIDI mixing for one channel to standard mixing using my CDJs.

The only thing is that mapping the DNx1700 has been a pain...mapping MIDI in is no problem...but the way Denon does their LED midi commands is weird and so mapping MIDI out from traktor has been rather painful...even using XtremeMapping application.
    Traktor: Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, DN-MC3000, DN-X1700
    Ableton: Launchpad, nanoKontrol2, LPK-25, BCR2000

Tech Mentor

Is the internal processing on the DJM900s, 1000, and 2000s improved compared to the DJM800? In other words, if you're going completely digital in and out, are you going to hear an improvement in sound quality in the newer models? Assume effects are off and VCA pots at unity.

Edit: Pioneer has tried to change their processing on successive digital mixers of theirs, for better or worse. The X1700 sound is top notch, right alongside the MP2015. Old Denon isn't as smooth, fast, and tight as the Rane, but the old Denon is lusher and more sensual sounding.
    Last edited by Reticuli; 04-05-2022 at 12:05 PM.

Necro thread af. haha
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast