Can I get some advice?
    Tech Convert

Default Can I get some advice?

Ok so im wanting to get into Djing. I love music to much not to and I want be be activily involved in it.

Controllers: So from what I have read in the forums. The NS6 Controller seems to be one of the best is that correct? I was going to go with the Pioneer ones but read alot of poor reviews about them. Or the S4. What would be the best option here.

Software: I really feel I want to stick with Traktor because I would like to buy some CDJ900's in the future so familisation with it would be helpful.

If I buy the NS6 what do i have to do to convert it to the Traktor and is it worth it because its made for Serato so would re-mapping it make it difficult to learn. Or should I just buy the S4 with flight case and Traktor and use that?

Tech Student

If you like to stick to Traktor, my advise it to go with S4. Which is tailor made for Traktor use. I am not sure if you could re-map NS6 with Traktor. But if you like the NS6 layout. Check out the new 4Track : http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/01/2...k-controllers/

i'd say get the s4.i used to have one and it was really good.

if you can't decide which software you like the most, i would try them both out and decide then!

which controller you want to use to control your software is a second, different question!

you decided that you want to use traktor? so i would TRY different controllers controlling traktor by USING them and decide then ;o)

(if you haven't friends which let you try some software or controllers, try the next big company selling this stuff, and YES it is worth it to drive 2 hours or more to gain the experience you need to make a good decision if you haven't the money to buy a different controller every month to try out what fit's you the most ;D)
    ( www.sickinc.org ~ a psychedelic trance ritual )

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by NTPacman View Post
    Ok so im wanting to get into Djing. I love music to much not to and I want be be activily involved in it.

Controllers: So from what I have read in the forums. The NS6 Controller seems to be one of the best is that correct? I was going to go with the Pioneer ones but read alot of poor reviews about them. Or the S4. What would be the best option here.

Software: I really feel I want to stick with Traktor because I would like to buy some CDJ900's in the future so familisation with it would be helpful.

If I buy the NS6 what do i have to do to convert it to the Traktor and is it worth it because its made for Serato so would re-mapping it make it difficult to learn. Or should I just buy the S4 with flight case and Traktor and use that?
    Controllers: All controllers are effectively switches and knobs. There's very little difference among them in their ability to switch or turn, none of them will make you a better DJ or help you skip steps to becoming a Superstar, so that means you've got a lot of shopping to do. Yes, the NS6 is a nice controller and it has a lot of fancy features, but you need to ask "What do I want to do with my controller?" If you buy the NS6 and you want to use Traktor, there's a Traktor "TSI" free download available from Numark's site... all you have to do is put the file somewhere nice and safe on your computer, launch Traktor, go into the settings, go into the Controller Manager and choose "Add..." under the Device Setup area, it will help you find the map. No matter how you go, some company will market some "sidecar hardware" to help you "advance your game to the next level" but really, DJing isn't mainly about hardware it's about how you play and what you play for the people that pay you to be there. I have a Twitch because I detest how much "real estate" jog wheels take up and I love that I have trigger buttons right below the touch strip. Oh and my complete set up fits in one (rather pudgy) computer bag.

Software: This depends on what you want to do again... If you want to use a Turntable to scratch, you'll want to get the version of software that's compatible with Scratching; Serato: Scratch Live or Traktor Scratch Pro (both are more expensive than the non-turntable versions (Serato: Itch, Traktor Pro 2). I really don't see why you would want a CDJ outboard device when you can; sort tracks (by anything including BPM) and have everything available on a whim with the software that comes with your controller. Sure, it may take time to rip a lossless file from your CDs, but you won't have to lug those binders of CDs into the club with you or lose those CDs because someone "borrowed it" or scratch it on a surface at the club.

Round-up:
    You've selected some pretty high-end (expensive) gear on other people's reviews. I suggest you go to your local DJ Supply store and "test drive" some other gear to confirm why you would want either of those flagship models above. You're going to learn a lot about what it means to be a DJ through your own experiences and there's nothing I can do to protect you from the bad parts. Stuff will break, things will get stolen, someone will spill a drink on your gear and ruin it or pull a patch cable while you're playing, you'll have off-nights, fights with other DJs and Management, someone will offer you drugs eventually, some hottie will make a request and (if you have it) it might kill the groove, etc., it's part of life... just remember that if you're really into this for the music, none of that will matter to you. I wish you well on your long and difficult journey to becoming a good DJ.

Tech Convert

Default Thanks

Well thanks alot for all that advice. I understand the idea of testing the equipment but I really dont have access to any of it in Darwin lol theres nothing set up so im at a real loss there. Any mates that have equipment have CDJ's.

So really I was leaning towards sticking with Tracktor as it is more of a standard for club equpiment and might keep it easy for transisation between equpiment. I do realise that I have probably picked the more expensive equipment there but I really dont like alot of the cheaper stuff. As for the use im pretty broard wanting to do Progressive, House/ Electro, Dubstep and Hardstyle

Getting the feeling ill be better off with the S4 as its made for Traktor. Would of likeed the NS6 but since it seems to be made for Serato including that plate on top of it it might just be a pain.

One other thing. Headphone all pretty much the same im guessing? Prob wouldnt want to spend more than 200 I wouldnt think. Also speakers I can just run everything off my computer speakers for now but what would be a decent set of speakers?

Tech Student

Yes i think you the s4 . It's good for you