First Major Gig: College Party

Default First Major Gig: College Party

Hey guys I just had DJed my first party major party/gig (I took some pictures from my phone and will post them later) and I just wanted to say thank DJTT for all the information you guys have provided over the years.

The gig went seamlessly (except for the end where it got shut down) and everyone seemed to really enjoy the music.

I also have two quick questions:

First has anyone had any experience with Amazon.com: Alpine Hearing Protection MusicSafe Classic Earplugs for Musicians: Musical Instruments@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51jAVd7Q74L.@@AMEPARAM@@51jAVd7Q74L

or similar hearing protection? I was right in between my speakers so I felt like hearing loss was a major issue so if this were to happen again, I want to protect myself.

Also anyone have any suggestions about getting people to not bump into the table? I feel like this is just a hazard of the trade but I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions.

Once again DJTT is great!

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Snailboto View Post
    Also anyone have any suggestions about getting people to not bump into the table? I feel like this is just a hazard of the trade but I'm curious if an has
    Electrified barbed wire?

college parties are major gigs now?

Quote Originally Posted by seitz View Post
    Everything is relative, if you've only been doing house parties or bedroom stuff, a College gig will be major for you.
    iŽll quote you in 5 years and we both will have a good laugh while we are at this awsome dj battle on mars trying to finally beat the damned 1000 armed alien squid "dj squid master". his routines are sick!

Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    Everything is relative, if you've only been doing house parties or bedroom stuff, a College gig will be major for you.
    except when your still in a house (https://www.google.com/search?q=coll...d7xOXRAcLAjcUC), no one cares about what music you play as long kesha, lady gaga, bep every 5 songs on rotation, and gets "shut down at the end"

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seitz View Post
    Maybe not for you but for anyone starting out - sure it is.

@Snailboto:
    The hearing protection you pointed to should be fine for a start but consider it won't sit perfectly and also have a bad impact on the music you hear due to frequencies being cut out.
    Custom ear-protection is really the way to go but it will set you back 100-150$.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Quote Originally Posted by Snailboto View Post

Also anyone have any suggestions about getting people to not bump into the table?

I give them a look of death when they come close, but i usually have my stuff set-up to prepare for any spills or bumps.
    OR
    Glue AIDS infested tacs to the outside edge of the table
    Beatslicing for the bitches

You need friends that look and act like gorillas. Get those dudes to stand in front of your table. Then, get 2 more, and have them stand on both sides of you. This accomplishes 2 things. First, nobody bumps you. Second, if they are big enough, sound barriers. No need for plugs now.
    Bonus, you look realllllly important. Or douchey.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

Your speakers should be to the sides and in front of you facing the crowd. How will you be able to use headphones if you have earplugs? To stop people from bumping into your table you need something like this...

http://www.odysseygear.com/odyssey-products/cf3630.html

and it looks more professional too.