Routing Ableton to Traktor?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Routing Ableton to Traktor?

Hello DJTT!

First time poster here, thought you guys would be able to answer this question better than anybody. I've learned so much from you guys and thought this topic might be the best time to start interacting with the community.

I want to be able to route the output from Ableton Live to a deck in Traktor. I've seen videos of Traktor being routed to Live, but I'm much more comfortable using Traktor as the main program. I've seen a video of someone doing this (at least I believe I have), though it was more of a demonstration, not a tutorial on how to set this up.

My goal is to have Traktor running with an S4, using decks A & B for main mixes, deck C as a sample/loop deck, and deck D as a Live feed that's synced to Traktor's MIDI clock. My recently acquired APC 40 would be in control of all the loops and samples for that deck.

Is this even possible?

My end set-up would consist of CDJ's hooked up a 4-channel mixer (can I still use the S4 for this?) for decks A & B, with the S4 still controlling deck C's sample deck and deck D for Ableton Live via my APC 40.

Sorry for the longwinded post and thank you for your time!
    - Matrasca

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

What you are trying to achieve is perfectly possible.
    You need a virtual audio device. If you're on a PC Virtual Audio Cable does the trick.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Do you use Windows or OSX?
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

Yeah VAC (virtual audio cable) will do the trick, it's a little tricky but you should be able to figure it out.

You'll also need Asio4All so your Traktor software won't be solely looking at your S4 for inputs/outputs otherwise you'd route audio out in Ableton to a VAC, then go to look for the input in Traktor and not "see" VAC offered under your input routing options.

And you're headed in the direction of a mighty spectacular set up, I personally would go one CDJ900 and one QFO though

@norequest: Well explained and excellect equipment choice.

Now we still need to know on which plattform he is.

Tech Convert

Sorry about that, and thank you for the replies! I am on OSX.

Bazinga

It's not that different on OSX though. Use Soundflower for a virtual audio device and combine that sound-device and your S4 using CoreAudio.
    It's easy as pie on OSX.

I just did this on my Win 7 64 bit machine and it also required me to get a "Virtual Midi Cable" application to allow for the clock send from Traktor (Send) to Ableton (Slave) as the DubSpot tutorial I dug up show there to be a Traktor Virtual outport which did not exist.

ALSO

After setting up Asio4All I was not getting sound out. To remedy I had to open the NI S2 control panel and click the reset button in the Connection Monitor area.

Even though I know see our efforts were futile for your platform, I'm sure some peeps on Windows are curious as to how one might go about this.

Tech Convert

That's absolutely fine with me. I just needed to know it was possible; I'm gonna try to figure this out tonight.

I DO have Windows 7 partitioned on my hard drive though. I may switch over and try it there if this doesn't work out; I know there's a lot of VSTs that I would really like to try that aren't available on OSX.

I actually don't have all of this equipment yet; it's a WIP but I would like to get started with this on my Mixtrack + APC40. Thank you for your help guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast