Midi controller similar to a djm 2000
    Tech Wizard

Default Midi controller similar to a djm 2000

Hey all,

Looking for a midi controller which can approximate the pioneer mixer.

Similar fader spacing and knob size etc.

Could do with maybe separate box for the fx section.

about as close as you could get to the djm2000 functionality on the cheap would be a behringer ddm4000, vdj pro, an iphone with touch osc or lemur...

the behringer fits because it is 4 channel mixer with very similar dimensions to the rest of the pioneer range, but most importantly spare buttons with led feedback on its surface, this could emulate the pioneer beat fx buttons.

Vdj pro because the software has plugins that emulate the pioneer effects, such as, roll, slip roll, gate, trans, feedback loop (like the efx1000), multitap delay, white noise, 3p delay (ping pong), echo, flanger, crusher... as well as other cool effects.

Although the one effect that I have not tried is the 7band eq crossfader, if you find a good vst however this could be easily mapped to swap between any two audio sources... you could probably incorperate more sources but would need a little more scripting and the space may become an issue, it's about 1000 words of scripting space, but this would be rather large i would think if having every possible crossfader assign combination of

deck 1 <---> deck 2
    deck 1 <---> deck 3
    deck 1 <---> deck 4
    deck 2 <---> deck 3
    deck 2 <---> deck 4
    deck 3 <---> deck 4
    deck 1, deck 2 <---> deck 3
    deck 1, deck 2 <---> deck 4
    deck 1 <---> deck 3, deck 4
    deck 2 <---> deck 3, deck 4
    deck 1, deck 2 <---> deck 3, deck 4

there is still more combinations probably double or tripple that if you want to take it further, but as you can see there is a lot of possible scenario's you need to account for in the mapping...

but once you have one of the touch osc sliders mapped you could quickly use find and rename on the same code for the other eq sliders, so you would only really need to write it once.
    Last edited by synthet1c; 02-13-2012 at 03:47 PM.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

sorry double post, mods please delete..
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Wizard

I am currently using ipad and touchosc with a layout i made to copy the pioneer mixer, controlling traktor and ableton.

So software wise i'm cool.

Touchosc does work, and is useable, but it is not work as well as real controls.

Thanks for the heads up on the behringer mixer, so this can act just as a controller without using it as a mixer?

Tech Wizard

Just had a look at the ddm4000 and it doesn't have the filter knob

How hard is it for someone to make just four decent dj faders with 6 good knobs on each channel trip?