Xone DB4

Thread: Xone DB4

Tech Convert

Default Xone DB4 or Xone 62/EFX1000 combo...

Hi guys, new here this is my first post. I have been searching the forums and reading about the Xone DB4. I got my first set of belt drive decks way back in 1995 and they came with this mixer :eek: lol

http://www.djresource.eu/Gearbase/ge.../Gemini-PMX-7/

Anyway since then I have had another Gemini, a couple of Pioneers and for quite along time now have been the proud owner of an original UK built Xone62.

18 months or so ago I decided that I wanted to add FX to my mixes and thought about buying a Pioneer EFX1000. Then the Xone DB4 was released and I thought wow I am a loyal long term Xone user and this looks perfect I will sell the 62 and I decided that I would buy the DB4 instead and saved for a whole year. Eventually I had the cash and have come to purchase it and now it has arrived. I have to say I am initially quite disappointed. The unit appears cheap and has a plastic feel. The EQ section wobbles and doesn't feel very sturdy at all. The looping section - well it is overrated IMO.

The fader knobs are not very well fitted it is quite easy for them to push down too hard and I have heard on other forums that this wears the painted fascia down.

To be honest I feel quite cheated. As a loyal Xone user this is not what I expect. My original 62 says 'Made in the UK' on the back. Clearly this is not!

I am going to send this unit back as it has arrived with a faulty pot on the EQ section which is making a mechanical grating when I turn it.

Anyway I sold my Xone 62 but have managed to get it back while I decide what to to do. I am thinking about going down the EFX1000/62 route but have yet to make a final decision. Maybe I just got a bad unit? Who knows? I have seen a few horror stories on the internet though and I am beginning to think that corners have been cut and somehow this unit just wont last the 8 years my 62 has (still looks/feels like new and out of the box and has had heavy use but been looked after and will last another 8+ years).

I will be running 2 x CDJ2000's and SL1210s through it along with occasionally using it to play out at my own events with which I will be using it with a good quality 5k JBL sound system. I don't have any interest in Ableton/Traktor/Laptops etc. I play predominately house/techno/progressive/breaks.

I will look after it but will it look after me this is a lot of money.

Thanks for your feedback
    Last edited by Moomin; 02-13-2012 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moomin View Post
    I have to say I am initially quite disappointed. The unit appears cheap and has a plastic feel. The EQ section wobbles and doesn't feel very sturdy at all. The looping section - well it is overrated IMO.

The fader knobs are not very well fitted it is quite easy for them to push down too hard and I have heard on other forums that this wears the painted fascia down.
    I don't know it doesn't exactly feel cheap to me- it feels different from a 92 and lighter than one since the casing is aluminum and there isn't all the analog circuitry. Definitely doesn't feel plastic and feels a lot better than pioneer mixers (that actually are plastic).

I think the looping section is one of the most valuable things on the mixer. It doesn't feel like a complete tank like my Xone: 92 did but it far from feels cheap to me.

If you want something else make the switch, no point keeping something you're not happy with.

Tech Convert

Hi dude, thanks for your response. I had a feeling you might be first due to some other posts you have made. Yes maybe it just feels different as I am so used to the original 62 however you cannot deny that the build quality just isn't the same surely? The EQ knobs feel like a Pioneer DJM600 lol... (IMO)

As for the looper, well yes it aint quantized so wont stay in time like the CDJs but it still isnt great IMO. I used to have a Redsound sound soundbite and the looping facility on this was better (again IMO)...

Please sell it to me...

Tech Convert

Ha ha PS I am from the UK hence my earlier comment about where it is manufactured...

Tech Mentor

I'm pretty sure the DB4 is hand built in the UK. Sorry you don't like yours, personally it's the best mixer I've had, although I agree that the fader caps could have a better feel. I wish the loopers would allow you to dial in the bpm manually like pioneer mixers....

Sounds like you got a bum unit; I'm really not seeing the problems you're having re wobbly EQ knobs. I do wish the knobs were chunkier though; coming off an Ecler mixer I miss fat EQ knobs. But the rubberized is really nice. I know what you mean though, for the price this mixer cost, I was surprised by the feel of the fader caps as well as by the overall sense of lightness. And I agree the looper is weak; I'm hoping this will be improved in future firmware updates. But once you start mixing with the filter layout it's pretty hard to go back to regular EQing, and the effects are unbelievably nice.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Convert

Well, I am sending it back, cant take the chance at this price lol...

Tech Convert

Also, the units are definitely not being built to the same standard. They may say otherwise but proof is in the pudding.

and you don't want pudding in your mixer.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.