audio interface question

Default audio interface question

just bought a scrlett 2i2 for recording mixes,its my first audio interface.

my question is do i hook up my studio monitors too the interface or my mixer when recording a set?how do i set it up?

Tech Mentor

Studio monitors outputs have balanced outputs, very nice feature for this price (use balanced cables to your monitors - 1/4 TRS cable).

Outputs of your Mixer to the inputs (1/4 jack in the front) - Use Audacity to record (set your sound card as the input).

I like this little Scarlett - cheap and sexy!

Quote Originally Posted by Dubstyles1 View Post
    my question is do i hook up my studio monitors too the interface or my mixer when recording a set?how do i set it up?
    It doesn't matter.

If your mixer can do 2 sets of balanced outputs, set it up either way. If your mixer only has 1 set of balanced outputs, plug them into the 2i2 and flip "direct monitor" to "on". The only real difference is that if you do it the second way, you use the 2i2's volume knob to control your monitor volume (without affecting the recording) and you have to mute the output of your DAW/recording software. If you do it the first way, you may not be able to indpendantly control the volume sent to the monitors and the recording computer.

What mixer do you have?

xone 42

it only has 1 balanced output, so I'd run the master into the 2i2 using a pair of XLR to TRS cables, set it to direct monitoring, set the record level with the gains on the 2i2 and the master volume of the 42, mute the recording software's output, and control the monitor volume with the knob on the 2i2.

Exactly how I recorded my last mix, just with a different mixer (still only 1 balanced output, though). Works like a charm.

You do have to use XLR to TRS cables, though…the XLR part of the combo jacks on the 2i2 is mic-only, and you don't want to run through the preamps with a line level signal. The 42's output might be wimpy enough to not distort, but it probably doesn't add any good harmonic distortion because a) it's a full mix, not a part and b) It's a $140 interface that's packed with features (for being 2x2), so it's pres are probably "good enough" but not "nice". Alternatively, you could use DI boxes (or a stereo DI) and the mic inputs, but again, it probably won't do anything but add noise.